Odd network connection issue,

Jollyjohn 16:59 04 Nov 2017
Answered

I have a network set up with static ip addresess for most of the devices connected or I have reserved an ip address on the router for the devices.

My W10 pc has a shared folder that my W7 laptop can access, using username and password to access.

My W10 pc cannot access a shared folder on the laptop when connected by wifi. If I plug in an ethernet cable then I can connect. If I use the ip address rather than the laptop's name I can connect, by wifi.

So why can't I connect to the laptop, using it's name, by wifi??

The windows diagnostics just say Laptop Name not found.

Secret-Squirrel 08:46 05 Nov 2017

My W10 pc cannot access a shared folder on the laptop when connected by wifi.

Go into the TCP/IPv4 advanced properties for the WiFi adapter then click the "WINS" tab. NetBIOS should be set to "Default" or "Enabled". If it's disabled then that could be the cause your problem.

...If I use the ip address rather than the laptop's name I can connect.......

If my tip above doesn't help then mapping the computer name to its IP address in the LMHOSTS file may help. The format will look like this:

192.168.1.100 JohnPC

Jollyjohn 17:03 05 Nov 2017

Thanks for that. Tried both solutions but niether worked.

What I find odd is that if, on W10 PC I have Network open in Windows explorer, then boot the laptop, laptop name pops up on the W10 pc but when I try and access it , it "Can't find laptop name"?!?

Secret-Squirrel 18:20 05 Nov 2017

Tried both solutions but niether worked.

Did you restart the laptop after making any changes?

If you did, then as a test, restart the laptop in Safe Mode with Networking. If that solves the problem then there's a third-party process causing it. It's likely to be security software or firewall. There's also a chance that something in Windows 10 could be the culprit.

If you decide to give up then a workaround would be to create a shortcut or map a network drive to your shared folder. The syntax is this in both cases:

\IPAddress\ShareName

Secret-Squirrel 18:24 05 Nov 2017

The forum software mucked that up so here's the syntax again as a picture this time:

Jollyjohn 19:46 05 Nov 2017

Thanks again.

Yes I did a restart after each change.. I think it an issue at the laptop end as my other W7 pc on the network gets the same answer "cannot find laptop name pc"

will try the safe mode option in the morning....

Jollyjohn 16:00 06 Nov 2017

Safe mode with networking didn't help - laptop didn't show up on network at all.

Tried the lmhosts file option again but still get this message "Windows can communicate with the name resolution server but can't find the host name."

It's not the end of the world if we can't resolve this but I find it odd the connection works one way but not the other.

Secret-Squirrel 18:57 06 Nov 2017
Answer

Tried the lmhosts file option again but still get this message "Windows ............ but can't find the host name."

That's odd because LMHOSTS tells Windows what the computer-name is and where to find it on the network. Did you do this on the Windows 10 PC? Sorry that I didn't make that clear initially. If you did everything correctly then undo your changes because they could cause problems in the future (such as you installing a new router).

There are zillions of things that can interfere with network shares unfortunately :(

Did you try my workaround? A desktop shortcut or mapped drive created on the Windows 10 PC should work.

Jollyjohn 13:43 07 Nov 2017

Did the lmhosts trick on the W10 PC and Yippee - it works. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Honor 20 Pro review

Philips 499P9H monitor review – this 49-inch screen turns heads and will make your colleagues…

MacBook Pro 2019 release date, price & specs

Comment télécharger des films sur un iPad sans utiliser iTunes ?