Odd Computer Failure

ened 10:38 05 May 2006

I am using XPPro with a LogitechMX1000 mouse and LX700 keyboard.

Last night I turned the mouse off whilst using the computer and when I turned it on again XP was virtually dysfunctional.

The cursor could be moved around the screen but nothing worked – not even the Shut Down screen. Task Manager was not available either.The keyboard was functioning because I was able to type in the password.

I eventually got myself running by plugging in a standard (Wired) p/s2 keyboard.

System Restore didn’t help the situation and I found my self not being able to use the cordless keyboard.

I have the latest drivers and tried to plug the LX700 into the p/s2 using the adapter.

This works so I now have a fully functioning pc.

But really I would like to use the keyboard, as it was intended, via usb.

I have consulted Logitech but this problem doesn't appear to be supposed to happen.

[DELETED] 12:11 05 May 2006

You say you have the latest drivers, but this sounds very much like a driver problem. Where did you get the drivers from? Did you uninstall properly before installing the latest drivers?

ened 12:53 05 May 2006

I installed it a week or so ago and downloaded the drivers from the Logitech site.

I did the same for the mouse drivers about a year or so ago.

Interestingly, though, when I looked at the driver after getting it working again through the p/s2 it had reverted to the generic driver as provided by MS.

I updated the driver but it still kills the machine when it is connected thru usb.

ened 16:58 05 May 2006

I guess I was hoping someone, out of the thousands, had experienced this or something similar.

Pineman100 17:02 05 May 2006

You say that you used SR, as part of your efforts to get things back to normal. Is there any chance that you restored to a date before you downloaded the latest drivers? If so, they'll be gone.

ened 17:08 05 May 2006

No but thanks anyway.

I have checked and currently have the latest drivers installed.

I have just tried again and still have a disfunctional machine when I plug the receiver for the Keyboard into the usb.

To re-iterate: this started when I turned the mouse off for a moment. There is no serious reason for the problem and I have run anti-virus etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

Adobe's brand-new video editing app Project Rush works across your computer, tablet and phone

Best external graphics cards (eGPUs) for Mac

Les meilleurs jeux pour Android (2018)