NVidia driver downloads - -advice please

harris99 17:53 04 Mar 2005

Have read it's a good idea to check Graphics card drivers are up to date. Have GEForce FX5700LE. NVidia says to remove NVidia Display Driver before downloading,but doesn't mention NVidia Drivers. Question is,will System Restore get me back to where I was? Or as a novice should I leave well alone?

andrew-196854 17:58 04 Mar 2005

yes system restore will get you back to where you was , just go on the web site nivida here click here and download it hope this helps

Jackcoms 19:05 04 Mar 2005

"as a novice should I leave well alone?"

Yes.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I've never been able to successfully update my Nvidia drivers.

garrema 19:49 04 Mar 2005

Probably one of the easiest bit of performance maintenance you can do - If thats your bag.
Jackcoms is right in a way however updating drivers can smooth performance as new software comes out etc. You won't fall over backwards - more like subtle changes. For games?

First a restore point.
Then download drivers from nvidia into a file e.g. C:drivers/video. They will be compressed don't install yet.
Go to add/remove programs and look for nvidia drivers and remove program. Restart the computer - your graphics will be poor (as there is no driver)
Go to where you saved the driver or device manager and install the driver.
Follow the wizard and then set up resolution as you wish.

garrema 19:49 04 Mar 2005

Probably one of the easiest bit of performance maintenance you can do - If thats your bag.
Jackcoms is right in a way however updating drivers can smooth performance as new software comes out etc. You won't fall over backwards - more like subtle changes. For games?

First a restore point.
Then download drivers from nvidia into a file e.g. C:drivers/video. They will be compressed don't install yet.
Go to add/remove programs and look for nvidia drivers and remove program. Restart the computer - your graphics will be poor (as there is no driver)
Go to where you saved the driver or device manager and install the driver.
Follow the wizard and then set up resolution as you wish.

garrema 19:50 04 Mar 2005

Opps jabbing the mouse!

stalion 19:54 04 Mar 2005

be careful if you download from nvidia the latest driver did have a problem don't know if they have fixed it.

User-312386 20:00 04 Mar 2005

uninstall all nvidia drivers and also use Drive Cleaner 3.3 click here to get rid of the files

Also clean the cab files with drive cleaner

Then install the new drivers

P.S use drive cleaner in Safe Mode

freaky 20:12 04 Mar 2005

You have got Nvidia's instructions wrong. You should download the update and 'save it' to your Desktop.

You then uninstall the existing driver, then reboot the PC. You will then be in VGA resolution. Then double click on the downloaded driver to install it. Once it has finished installing do the following: -

(a) Right click on a blank portion of your Desktop.

(b) Select 'properties'.

(c) On the tab at the top click on 'settings'.

(d) Select your prefered screen resolution i.e 1280 X 1024 or lower.

(e) Select the Colour Quality i.e. Highest 32 Bit.

(f) Select 'Advanced'

(g) You will then have the Nvidia controls to set to your personal preferences.

Hope that helps.

harris99 18:16 05 Mar 2005

Thanks everyone. Vrey useful advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?