NVidia display driver intermittent crashing

iscanut 17:35 05 Sep 2014
Answered

I use Windows 7 SP1 and an NVidia Geforce GTX550Ti card. I am running the lastest drivers, updated from the NVidia site. All of a sudden, the pc has been crashing, sometimes recovering with the following displayed "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.". Other times it does not recover and I have to reboot. It happens spasmodically and with no regular pattern. Any ideas as to why or what else I can do ?

sunnystaines 18:06 05 Sep 2014

reinstall driver or go back a version.

iscanut 18:59 05 Sep 2014

Have done both of these and still. Get the same problem.

sunnystaines 20:05 05 Sep 2014

what does device manager show?

rdave13 23:05 05 Sep 2014

iscanut2 had a similar problem to yours with the 'recovered' pop-up and it will be a driver issue I think. Had to uninstall the version in programs and features first, reboot, then installed the working version for me which is GeForce 340.52 - release date 29/07/2014. Not removing an older version seemed to create the issue. Uninstalling via prog & features, rebooting, then using Nvidia GeForce Experience to update it has solved the problem for me. GTX 550 Ti card.

rdave13 23:14 05 Sep 2014

One thing to do, just remembered, do not let Windows Update update your GPU's driver. If you get a notification for the update then hide it. Stick with Nvidia's Experience program only.

iscanut 11:26 06 Sep 2014

Thanks rdave13, will try what you did later on and report back in due course. Many thanks, glad to know I am not alone!

iscanut 12:38 06 Sep 2014

Have uninstalled all of the Nvidia drivers etc and updated with a saved version 335.23 March 2014 and so far so good...will keep an eye on things over the next couple of days.

iscanut 20:16 12 Sep 2014

Still getting intermittent problems even with total unistall and reinstall of old driver, when I know I had no problems. Sounds like a windows prob so will try an old AMD card and see what happens.

rdave13 20:31 12 Sep 2014

Before you do check win update hasn't updated your GPU. Are you using NVidia GeForce Experience to update your card? My card is steady as a rock with the 340.52 version.

This is going to be a double post :(

iscanut 11:08 13 Sep 2014

I don't let windows update gpu and I did a fresh install with an older driver version downloaded direct from Nvidia.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

50 Cent is Iron Man in these comic book cover reissues of hip hop classics

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Mac : comment forcer la fermeture d’une application ?