Number pads on computer Keyboard frustration

Dragon Damvill 11:21 18 Nov 2016

Why is it that numbers on your touch phone. calculators, any adding device that have a Key pad have the numbers 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0, starting at the top left going downwards with the Zero at the bottom of the Key pad. b u t...wait for it.. on my computer numeral Key pad the numbers start at the bootom and goes upward to 9 with the Zero tucked underneath the 1...Why? it is annoying AAAAAAAAAAAAAGH how do we go about standardising it and change it please? Dragon Damvill

Archonar 11:38 18 Nov 2016

I'm not sure about your calculators but all the ones that I have seen have 123 at the bottom, in fact a quick google search shows that is the case for pretty much all calculators. I think that keyboards were designed with this in mind, since early computers were often used to perform calculations so the logical step is to have the same keypad as a calculator. Phone manufacturers decided that since the alphabet went onto the numbers if they followed the calculator convention then the alphabet would be backwards - not a great idea.

I doubt either will ever change now that they are so ingrained in the designs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Redmi 8 Release Date, Price & Spec Rumours

Candid photography at home is helping Swedes to sell houses

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Les meilleures séries Netflix