NTLDR is missing ....

woofwoofbark 00:01 16 Feb 2006

press ctrl alt del to restart .....

I get the message whenever I turn on my computer , I have just formatted my HD and reloaded XP home and now I get the message for some wierd reason ? but when I click the ctrl>alt>del buttons and the comp reboots , everything is then fine , the message only happens if the comp is switched on.

lemme explain , I have 2 40 gb HD's , one is split to read as 2 20gb HD's i.e.:- I have Windows XP HE , with Windows on C: 20gb HD , I also have D: 40gb HD and E: 20gb HD .... I tried a repair through booting from my XP OEM disc , didnt work , and tried sfc /scannow , didnt work either ... ive looked in control panel>performance and maintenance>administrative tools>computer management>disk management
and have the followind setup

Master C:{System} 20 gb Windows is on this HD
Slave 1 D:(Active) 40gb
Slave 2 E: 20gb

what is the NTLDR file used for ? and does anyone have any advice

Many Thanks

beemerman

stalion 00:19 16 Feb 2006
  surfsteruk 02:39 16 Feb 2006

Funnily enough, I had the same problem just this morning. Came up out of the blue after a normal shutdown.

This is how I solved it.

Insert your XP disk into drive and boot from it. It will give you options to do a reinstall etc. Press 'R' to do a repair.

At the command prompt, type in the following to replace the missing NTLDR files:

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\ and
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:
hope this helps...

rbolwell2 08:54 16 Feb 2006

or an easier way - load up the recovery console as previously explained and type fixboot

works for me

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough, a non-profit against sexual misconduct

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)