NTFS to FAT32

Jason Hobson 11:15 20 Jun 2003

Hello.

I have recently upgraded most of the components of my pc apart from the HD. The HD is in NTFS format and i do not have, and cannot get, a WIN XP/2K disk.

So i had to go to my mates and steal his 1gig slave drive which is FAT32. I installed windows 98 onto it as its the only OS disk i have. This is not enough for me to do the things i like to do such as playing games. So i was wondering if it would be possible to format the NTFS drive back to FAT32 and how.

If i cant do that im gona have to find a way to get a WIN XP or 2k disk.

Lú-tzé 11:27 20 Jun 2003

Something like PArtition magic should do it for you; install it on the slave and then use it to convert the master to FAT32.

The other option would be to get a win98 boot disk and fdisk the master - it will mean that you lose everything on it though and will have to start over again.

keewee 11:29 20 Jun 2003

Hi Jason,

Windows 98 cannot use NTFS, and a win2k/xp disk will not allow you to convert from NTFS to fat32.
However, if you make a win98 boot disk, you can use it to format your original drive to FAT32

Does that help?

AndySD 11:52 20 Jun 2003

It may be simpler to go to the Hard Disk manufacturers web site ....they should have a download to do a low level format of the disk.... then partition and format the disk to Fat32

holly polly 21:39 22 Jun 2003

fdisk on win 98 wont work ,had same problem with my system-check recent postings ,used fdisk to delete non dos partitions ,and then created primary dos partition ,this resulted in my hardrive going from a 40 gig to a 4 gig ,forget the delpart tool also it dont work -it didnt for me -the only way i got round it and succeeded was to borrow a mates copy of maxiblast,this enabled me to do a low level format and then create a fat 32 partition across the width of the hardrive -wether i was doin things wrong i dunno but i couldnt ,no matter hard i tried get rid of the ntfs partition,if you can get hold or borrow a copy of maxiblast -use it -believe me it works ,then again if u can get hold of a copy let me know cos i would like one myself-anybody out there know?good luck-holly polly.

beeuuem 22:16 22 Jun 2003

If you mean Maxblast3
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?