novice html.

charlton200 15:48 16 Sep 2003

i am at the moment trying to teach myself html.i am getting on fairly well.i am trying to create a personal site just to lean how it is done more then for what i have got to put on it (proberly nobody will not want to read it anyway).

as a newcomer to web building is html the way to learn or is there something else i should be learning.

any help to a complete novice would be appeciated.

many thanks.

AndySD 16:07 16 Sep 2003

Yes yuo will find that a good background knowledge of html is a major advantage when you start to use web design programs. You may also like to look at Cascading Style Sheets. click here

Gaz 25 17:23 16 Sep 2003

CSS is great becuase it is easy, and means you can change websites colour schemes often with pure ease.

Javascript is harder but can do a few amazing things.

PHP is far better than Java and HTML and is a little easier to learn.

ASP, Only if creating e-commerce sites could I be bothered.

charlton200 18:17 16 Sep 2003

so is it worth sticking with html and learning it properly and then learning others after that .

Is this the best way to learn?

AndySD 07:31 17 Sep 2003

IMHO its the best way to go.

Forum Editor 07:51 17 Sep 2003

is an asset certainly, and it will stand you in good stead later on, but if I were you I would also be working with one of the WYSIWYG programs. What many professional designers do is to use a good WYSIWYG application (DreamWeaver, FrontPage,NetObjects Fusion etc.) and then fine-tune the code by hand if needs be.

Modern applications produce code that is so good it hardly needs much tweaking, and of course it's a far faster way of working. You would be well advised to study server-side technologies as well, and learn aboutthe different server types - what their strengths and weaknesses are.

charlton200 13:17 17 Sep 2003

thanks to you all for your advise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 and 32 review – hands-on

When is the next Apple event?

Gmail : comment annuler l’envoi d’un e-mail ?