Novell Network (& Win) ADSL restrictions recommend

Cosmic Guerilla 08:58 28 Apr 2004

After 5 years of working in my present job and after much begging, pleading, extortion and blackmail I have finally persuaded my boss that we should network the 15 pc’s in our office and install ADSL internet access.

The 15 pc’s all use Windows 98 or Windows XP and these will be networked using Novell software. We will be using Arc Serve from Computer Associates as our antivirus and backup software.

The administrators and senior staff will have access to all internet sites at any time. Junior staff will have access to their email at any time but will only be authorised to access a list of approved work sites (incl PC Advisor – in the hope they might learn something) during working hours. Initially we plan to let junior staff access any other internet sites at lunchtime and after working hours.

This will be my first time acting as a network administrator so if there are any administrators in the forum please feel free to give this ‘newbie’ any advice you think might be helpful.

I do acknowledge that PCA member Indigo1 has posted a good link about networks at
click here
I am seeking any other general advice from forum members regarding good general day to day network management.

MY QUESTIONS ARE THESE:

1 Am I right in thinking that even though the underlying pc’s will be running various versions of Windows, the fact that it is non Windows (i.e. Novell) platform that will be managing the network, we should be less susceptible to viruses?

2 Don’t think we will get complacent about viruses. On average during the last 5 years we have been infected by about one virus per year despite running McAfee or Norton on all pcs. We all know that no matter how many times you request staff to keep all antivirus and patches up to date and not to click on any attachment whose source is doubtful they will continue to disregard this advice. Does anyone have any recommendations as regards additional procedures we might consider?

3 Please feel free to offer any other recommendations / advice for good running of a network.

recap 11:12 28 Apr 2004

Hi I cannot help you with Novell as I have never Administered it only Windows.

Q 2. "We all know that no matter how many times you request staff to keep all antivirus and patches up to date and not to click on any attachment whose source is doubtful they will continue to disregard this advice"

A good Internet policy for staff should be in place, then every member of staff should have no excuse for not implementing your procedures. If you haven't already got a policy in place, e-mail me and I can send you one that you can adapt to your working environment.

Cosmic Guerilla 17:28 29 Apr 2004

Bump

Thanks recap. Up until now we have generally preferred to run office procedures based on trust. However, a colleague of mine today pointed out the dangers implicit if users were to engage in interactive multi user internet gaming - i.e. it leaves your pc more open and much more vulnerable to attack. I will email you and take up your kind offer of a draft Internet policy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)