We've had an Asus X551C Notebook for a few years but it just suddenly gave up and wouldn't start. We tried re-charging the battery but no luck.
We put it to one side and forgot about it for a few weeks, then by chance just tried starting it up again and it whirred and worked! This was not to last, unfortunately, and we are back to square one with no startup.
I've tried replacing the battery but it's not resolved the issue. When I fitted the new battery, the charging light did the usual and glowed orange and then green when I connected the charger so I think something is going right.
When the power switch is pressed (connected to charger) the green light goes off, whilst pressing. When the power switch is pressed (not connected to charger) there is no green light.
The battery is at 100% now and Windows is running. What I'd like to know, if possible, is whether I can overcome the static issue (pressing on/off with battery out) by replacing any of the components. As I've got to pull the laptop apart to get at the battery, it's not very practical!
Not sure it was the CMOS battery that resolved the issue, unfortunately. I put a voltmeter on the old one that I took out and it was chucking out 3v. The only way that I can get the laptop to run is to dissipate the static by pressing the on/off switch with the battery out and as it's buried deep in the laptop it's not practical to do this. I've ordered a new on/off switch in the vague hope that this may help resolve the static issue.
Just a thought from me, which probably isn't particularly well informed, is that to start up the laptop may need some boost power from some sort of capacitor? Is it this that I am re-setting each time I hold the on/off down for 30 seconds?