Not sure what to do about storage...advice please

lisa02 22:46 23 Mar 2005

My system in a nutshell:

XP sp2 with all updates, 160Gb Maxtor drive(6Y160P0) LiteOn DVD-RW and a DVDrom drive. Athlon barton 3200+ and 1 gig of kingston ram. My mobo is a MSI K7N2 delta2 platinum.

I want something serious to back upto. I have the option of getting another HDD but I have to get the store to do it,where I got my PC, otherwise it invalidates the warranty, they'll charge extra money too. Or should I use something else....please advise?

JonnyTub 22:51 23 Mar 2005

External usb 2/ firewire hard drive?

The general rule of thumb is to buy as large a capacity as you can confortably afford.

I personally like the maxtor one touch.

GroupFC 22:56 23 Mar 2005

I recently bought this click here and I am pleased with it now although I did have some initial teething troubles getting it set up, but the sync s/ware that comes with it is not much cop!

woodchip 22:57 23 Mar 2005

And I made my own by getting a case from comp faire for about £22 and a 200Gb Seagate Barracuda Drive 8mb buffer for around £70

peter4076 22:59 23 Mar 2005

Get another Maxtor 160gig approx £65.00 plus £25.00 USB2 Caddy + Acronis True Image ver 8 £16.00 (Amazon) The caddy comes with powerpack & USB lead, so for less than £100.00 you are all setup, every month do a full C drive backup (Image)
takes about 25-30 minutes, turn the external HDD off till next month (Or leave it on), but I only use mine for the complete backups, I use other desktop HDD's for my music & photo's.
I don't believe plugging in a USB lead would invalidate a warranty, thats what they are there for, same as a CDrom drive is for inserting CD's
So best of luck.

lisa02 22:59 23 Mar 2005

Do you have exp. with these? are they reliable? They seem good but are more money than I thought. However I'd rather pay that than go back to the shop where I got the PC.

lisa02 23:03 23 Mar 2005

The shop where I got the PC (they built the thing)says they must do all work/upgrades, but the thing that bothers me is, fair enough I have to buy the parts of them, but they'll charge me £15 to £20 extra to fit them.

DieSse 23:03 23 Mar 2005

Get the store to fit you a caddy mounted, removeable, hard drive. This enables you to keep a backup outside the system, in case of theft or complete meltdowns.

You can choose to do a complete duplicate of your hard drive, or to have a smaller backup drive and do a drive image. I use Acronis True Image, and it has saved a couple of my clients from complete disasters. If you choose a backup drive of the same capaicty then you can clone it regularly, and the cloned drive will enable you to be up and working again within minutes.

Remember always that a backup is only as up to date as the last time you made it.

JonnyTub 23:09 23 Mar 2005

Highly reliable, Performs excellent, software is a breeze to install and use, that's it. If you want simple the maxtor is the way to go. There are much cheaper options as others are currently advising though, require a little more work but nothing that's gonna make you break into a sweat. :-)

lisa02 23:17 23 Mar 2005

Think I'll get an external the same size as my own 160Gb internal and back up regularly to it. I'll take DieSse's advice with JonnyTub's recommendation.

Is this a good idea?

Many thanks to you all.

lisa02 23:21 23 Mar 2005

I just thought, if my internal drive where to fail, can I boot from an external easily enough?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?