Not receiving Windows monthly updates

thumbscrew 18:32 10 Jan 2017

I'm using Windows 7 and just discovered that I'm not receiving the monthly "patch" updates. If I check for updates it just runs and runs but no result. I used the built in troubleshooter but that eventually informed me that a re-install was the only option, but I'm not willing to do that. Can anyone help please?

difarn 18:46 10 Jan 2017

It maybe that you need to update the Windows Update client

click here

thumbscrew 20:33 10 Jan 2017

Thanks difarn, tried to install it, but it just runs and runs and doesn't install.

Govan1x 21:33 10 Jan 2017

Make sure W/update is set to automatic and is running in Services.Not sure if it was the troubleshooter in Control panel you used if not run that and click on Windows Updates.

Forum Editor 10:17 11 Jan 2017

Mainstrean support for Windows 7 ended in 2015, but you should still receive security updates - that will continue for another three years.

Have you tried to install the Microsoft 'Convenience Rollup' update?

thumbscrew 10:41 11 Jan 2017

Thankyou, after looking at all the warnings about possible side effects I'm a tad reluctant to try it. I have no idea why after receiving the patches for years they have suddenly stopped and I'm ready to try most things, but I'm turned off by the potential risks that are listed in the information.

thumbscrew 10:57 11 Jan 2017

Difarn, re Windows Update, which one do i click...ll supported x86-based versions of Windows 7 Download Download the package now. All supported x64-based versions of Windows 7 Download Download the package now. All supported x64-based versions of Windows Server 2008 R2 Download Download the package now. All supported IA-based versions of Windows Server 2008 R2 Download Download the package now

difarn 12:36 11 Jan 2017

It depends whether you have Windows 7 32 or 64 bit. To check click start, type system into the box, click on system under control panel heading - it should tell you system type.

If 32-bit you will need x86-based download. If 64-bit the All supportex x64-based versions of Windows 7 download.

caccy 21:29 11 Jan 2017

Had this problem with two recent installs of Win7. Got this info from "Sevenforums.com" "Try emptying the contents of the folder "C:\windows\software distribution\download", then try updating again."

Sounds drastic but it worked for me. I just deleted "software distribution" folder and then went to update.

alanrwood 10:08 12 Jan 2017

That is a common solution. You do need to stop the windows update service first and then restart it afterwards.

thumbscrew 10:21 12 Jan 2017

Thanks caccy worth a try, how and where do I find this folder?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Game of Thrones' Emilia Clarke spoofs all your favourite stock photo clichés

MacBook Air 2018 review

Comment supprimer un compte Facebook ?