Not able to Ping my Router or other PCs on the LAN

RISC OS user 12:12 03 Dec 2016
Answered

After not having tried for a number of months, today I tried to ping my desktop PC from my Laptop via Virtual Acorn, this is a program which emulates a real Acorn RiscPC, see click here In the past it has worked correctly, however, this time when I used !WimpPing it returns "cannot create socket" and when I used the *command *ping xxx.xxx.x.xx to ping my PC it returns "ping: socket:permission denied". If I ping any of my windows PCs and Real Acorn RiscPc from and to any other Windows PC and the Acorn Risc PC the ping functions correctly. I am at a loss as to what has happened to stop the ping from the Virtual Acorn, I can however print via !Uniprint and either PC over the LAN, I cannot ping the router from Virtual Acorn. The real Acorn Risc PC functions as normal. I can access the internet using !NetSurf from the Virtual Acorn. Has anyone had this problem and how can I over come it? My only thought is McAfee which is installed on each Windows PC on my LAN is blocking Virtual Acorn, but I cannot find a setting to change.

RISC OS user 10:56 08 Dec 2016

Has no one ever had a similar problem with not being able to ping? Setting aside that the problem I am having is via a non-windows OS it is a program which is running on Windows 10. The security is via McAfee.

RISC OS user 16:14 08 Dec 2016
Answer

Thank you for your reply. I will not be able to use this facility as the problem does not exist when I am Pinging one Windows PC to another or from a Windows PC to a Real Acorn RiscPC only when tryng to ping from within the Virtual Acorn Program. This problem did not exist at all a few months ago not matter from where I tried to ping. I was wondering if there is a setting within McAfee which could be changed, I have looked but found nothing?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch