Not able to Ping my Router or other PCs on the LAN

RISC OS user 12:12 03 Dec 2016
Answered

After not having tried for a number of months, today I tried to ping my desktop PC from my Laptop via Virtual Acorn, this is a program which emulates a real Acorn RiscPC, see click here In the past it has worked correctly, however, this time when I used !WimpPing it returns "cannot create socket" and when I used the *command *ping xxx.xxx.x.xx to ping my PC it returns "ping: socket:permission denied". If I ping any of my windows PCs and Real Acorn RiscPc from and to any other Windows PC and the Acorn Risc PC the ping functions correctly. I am at a loss as to what has happened to stop the ping from the Virtual Acorn, I can however print via !Uniprint and either PC over the LAN, I cannot ping the router from Virtual Acorn. The real Acorn Risc PC functions as normal. I can access the internet using !NetSurf from the Virtual Acorn. Has anyone had this problem and how can I over come it? My only thought is McAfee which is installed on each Windows PC on my LAN is blocking Virtual Acorn, but I cannot find a setting to change.

RISC OS user 10:56 08 Dec 2016

Has no one ever had a similar problem with not being able to ping? Setting aside that the problem I am having is via a non-windows OS it is a program which is running on Windows 10. The security is via McAfee.

RISC OS user 16:14 08 Dec 2016
Answer

Thank you for your reply. I will not be able to use this facility as the problem does not exist when I am Pinging one Windows PC to another or from a Windows PC to a Real Acorn RiscPC only when tryng to ping from within the Virtual Acorn Program. This problem did not exist at all a few months ago not matter from where I tried to ping. I was wondering if there is a setting within McAfee which could be changed, I have looked but found nothing?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Now On Sale: Price, Specification & Features

Best free Photoshop brushes 2019

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio Lightning (2019)