Norton Speed Disk Compatibility with Win 2000

[DELETED] 19:49 05 Aug 2003

Well I'm back again! Have downloaded a recent'critical ' service pack for windows 2000 pro - NT5 Service pack 4 - only to find that my Norton System works 2002 utilities comes up woth a warning when I try to run speed disc.

The warning reads.....
Warning this version of speed disc has not been tested with the service pack.
Supported systems
NT5 service packs 0 - 3

Has anybody been in this situation before?
Can I run speed disc safely?

My Norton software is fully updated by liveupdate.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
KEY BORED.

[DELETED] 20:02 05 Aug 2003

Older versions of norton, do not like the ntfs file system.

[DELETED] 20:45 05 Aug 2003

Ah! out of date software.
Does anyone know if using my current speed disc will cause problems? Or do I have to fork out for the Nortons System Works 2003?

KEY BORED.

[DELETED] 00:38 06 Aug 2003

Definitely no need to buy a new version.

The warning comes up every time a new Service Pack is installed. I suppose it's a precaution on Norton's part.

After a while, you might get an update to Norton Speed Disk, which will remove the warning.

You can either wait, or just ignore the warning. I'm still using the 2001 version. I used to hold off when I saw the warning, but I now ignore it. I've been defragging despite the warning for the last 2 or 3 service packs and I haven't seen any problem.

[DELETED] 01:15 06 Aug 2003

I agree entirely with temp003. The fact that it hasn't been tested does not mean that it will not work. It's just a case of Windoze being over cautious.

AH

[DELETED] 18:01 06 Aug 2003

Thanks Guys! Another of windows little querks solved. when I see you in the street I'll buy you a beer!!!!

KEY BORED.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best computer security tips

This fantastic short film is packed with hidden TV and film references

Best external graphics cards (eGPUs) for Mac

Test : les écouteurs Bluetooth Soundcore Spirit X d’Anker