norton security

gidster 20:17 07 Jul 2004

i was given a copy of norton internet security and put it on my computer and i worked fine.but finally the subscription ran out . so i was told to uninstall it , then reinstall it then you will have a full year again free . but when i reinstall it and its on my computer its still says subscription expired what am i doing wrong

Diodorus Siculus 20:20 07 Jul 2004

What are you doing wrong? Isn't it obvious!

Get Avast, Mailwasher and Sygate Personal and you will have all that NIS has and for free.

Lots other free alternatives out there too...

Diodorus Siculus 20:21 07 Jul 2004

What are you doing wrong? Isn't it obvious!

Get Avast, Mailwasher and Sygate Personal and you will have all that NIS has and for free.

Lots other free alternatives out there too...

broggs 20:24 07 Jul 2004

you are doing nothing wrong.....your subcription is free and lasts for 365 days from the first install then you have to pay symantec(norton) for the next years subscription.
If you dont subscribe you will not get any new updates so you will not be protected against the new virus's.

broggs 20:26 07 Jul 2004

py up or go down the route of Diodorus Siculus.

THE TERMINATOR 20:26 07 Jul 2004

You will need to buy the latest version to get another years subscription. The person who gave you that advice is definately wrong. If everyone got a new year free again by reinstalling, no-one would upgrade to the latest version, and Norton would be loosing a lot of cash...TT

gidster 20:30 07 Jul 2004

thanks Diodorus and broggs and its obvious now.ill try and get something for free.

Diodorus Siculus 20:30 07 Jul 2004

The advice used to be right... now it takes a deep cleansing of the registry to do it if one is so inclined. I gave up on Norton a couple of years ago and prefer the free alternatives.

gidster 20:34 07 Jul 2004

so its still the same if its a copy of norton security and not a original and i didnt register

broggs 20:39 07 Jul 2004

yes as Diodorus Siculus says the registry is altered so that you cannot reinstall to gain another year.

Diodorus Siculus 20:40 07 Jul 2004

If it is a copy you don't have a licence anyway - registration makes no difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?