NORTON (Non-viral Threats Detected)

Legslip 11:55 06 Apr 2005

On completion of a virus check it states "Norton Antivirus has detected the following non-viral threats". "To learn about the threat click on the threat name". It then identifies three Adware items (NDNuninstall6 3, trickler3103 pic and woinstall.exe). I have run Spybot and AdAware but they are still shown afterwards by Norton. It asks if I want to exclude them. Does this mean that they remain on my system but just do not show up on the next check?
Are they serious items and how can I get rid of 'em?

powerless 12:09 06 Apr 2005

** Does this mean that they remain on my system but just do not show up on the next check? **

Yup!

Your best bet is to run HijackThis...

click here

click here

gudgulf 12:37 06 Apr 2005

Try running Adaware from safe mode it should remove a few more things or does Norton quarantine them? If so you can probably delete them from there.

As far as I can tell NDNuninstall6 is just the leftover uninstaller for NewDotNet (probably removed by your antimalware progs) so is not a direct threat.The other two appear to be spyware.All three can be deleted.....if Adaware does not shift them in safemode you can manually delete them ( whilst still in safemode).

BRYNIT 13:07 06 Apr 2005

Norton may tell you where these files are. I had this message once and found the files were in my Temp internet file

BRYNIT 13:08 06 Apr 2005

Didn't finish once found i just deleted them.

Legslip 15:42 06 Apr 2005

Well as Norton showed the filepaths I have deleted them in Win Explorer. Don't know if this is the best fix. Will have to wait and find out.

BRYNIT 21:53 06 Apr 2005

You will now if this has fixed the problem when you do another scan with Norton.

Legslip 10:54 07 Apr 2005

Dead right. Scanned with Norton and now not showing. Hooray!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts