Norton live update.......

topdraw 19:46 06 Jul 2004

Please can anybody tell me if they are also having a problem getting live virus definition updates from Norton. I cannot even get into symantecs web site and when I try a live update it tells me it cannot find catalog file.

Thanks in advance

topdraw 19:52 06 Jul 2004

Thanks sattman,

I really am at a loss on this one.

topdraw 19:53 06 Jul 2004

Thanks TT

topdraw 20:00 06 Jul 2004

Many thanks rickimalone, I'll give it a try.

topdraw 06:55 07 Jul 2004

Thanks everyone,

for the life of me my browser cannot get into any symantec web site, any ideas.

Many thanks

topdraw 18:38 07 Jul 2004

Thanks byford & SirGalahad2004,

Ican get into any other site other than symantec so I am now doing an on line scan.

topdraw 20:38 07 Jul 2004

Thanks for the reply end,

I have no problem with the internet, as I am writing here now. The problem is if I do a live update it tells me to check my internet connection and it cannot find catalog files. I can double click into NAV or NIS but just cannot update virus definitions. I also cannot get on to the symantec web site yet I can go anywhere else

topdraw 20:50 07 Jul 2004

Can anybody advise me why I cannot log on to the click here website.

Many thanks.

topdraw 22:04 07 Jul 2004

Thanks for the response end,

My subscription is valid, when trying to access click here it says the page cannot be found. Do you get access from my link?

powerless 22:11 07 Jul 2004

Click Start, Run, copy and paste:

notepad %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Click OK.

Do you symantec listed?

Who is your ISP?

topdraw 17:00 08 Jul 2004

I thank you all for the help you are giving, I am going through your suggestions and will post a little later. What I will add is the message I get from trying the live update :-

"Liveupdate could not retrieve the catalog file of available symantec product updates. Please check that your connection to the internet is functioning correctly and retry liveupdate."

To the Terminator, I also did a scan within norton to determin what applications were allowed to use the internet and checked them all including symantec (which I still cannot log onto, telling me "the page cannot be displayed".

To Powerless, I did what you suggested and nothing visible happened. I am with NTL and have a 600kbps broadband connection.

To end, I can do anything in norton but just cannot do live update. My subscription says "subscription service 21/05/2005".

To Gaz 25 I will try your suggestion next.

To rickimalone it is 2002 which I renew subscription when they tell me. I must confess I did not recall re newing it as recent as May I normally re new at the end of the year sometime. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but how well I have done it I do not know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)