Norton Internet Security

Micro-Man 07:29 12 May 2006

There are two parts to this question.

Firstly can NIS 2003 still be registered as a new installation or is it no longer supported? It does not need a reigistration code like the later versions.

Secondly NIS 2006 has been getting a lot of poor reviews. What would you recommend as a simple, no-brainer, single internet security package for my wife to use on a dial-up internet connection with Windows XP Home on a fairly modern laptop.

xania 08:59 12 May 2006

So far as I am aware, 2003 is still supported and, no, you don't need a registration code for this version. Rather than upgrade to 2006, frankly, I would buy 2005 (always available at click here but watch out for any pirate copying) for which you will need a registration code.

Taff™ 09:51 12 May 2006

I would recommend two pieces of software - both free. (I know you said one but bear with me!) Avast Antivirus click here which updates itself everytime you connect to the internet and leaves you to run it perhaps once a week. I would also download Windows Defender which will take care of spyware click here

There are many other good pieces of free software that will do similar jobs equally well but this combination should serve your needs adequately. Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy, A Squared, Spywareblaster, Eiwido are all excellent but they each require more involvement from you and if you don`t mind that or want to be extra safe try some of those as well.

Taff™ 09:54 12 May 2006

I would recommend two pieces of software - both free. (I know you said one but bear with me!) Avast Antivirus click here which updates itself everytime you connect to the internet and leaves you to run it perhaps once a week. I would also download Windows Defender which will take care of spyware click here

There are many other good pieces of free software that will do similar jobs equally well but this combination should serve your needs adequately. Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy, A Squared, Spywareblaster, Eiwido are all excellent but they each require more involvement from you and if you don`t mind that or want to be extra safe try some of those as well.

jddtrus 09:59 12 May 2006

i have norton 2006 and have had no problems with it at all, its great.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)