NORTON INTERNET SECURITY 2004 DOWNLOAD PROBLEM

blackpat 10:58 08 Jun 2004

Hi all, I just upgraded from w98se to wXP. In doing so, I lost my anti-virus programme (Trend pc-cillin 200.)and didn't have the CD to re-install it.) Being that PC world had a offer on with Norton Internet Security 2004, I decided to buy it, but when I tried to install it, it said that I still had some other anti-virus programme on my computer. I deleted all traces of my Trend pc-cillin and Norton still says I have it on my computer. I phoned the norton support (twice) and couldn't understand a word they said apart from a full restore that I don't want to do. I can't seem to find a help number for trend pc-cillin, to see if they can take it off my computer. I would be very gratefull for any help.
Regards, Blackpat.
PS. My partner upgraded to XP the same time as me and also bought the Norton Internet Security and it installed with no problems.

Taff36 11:29 08 Jun 2004

Trend Support Site click here

Taff36 11:33 08 Jun 2004

Better Still click here

Be Careful though !

blackpat 18:40 08 Jun 2004

I don't have any info about the trend pc-cillin that I have on my computer. My son put it on years ago and they just kept on updating it.I can't get into the site you gave me, because they want to info about the pc cillin. Anything else I can do??
Blackpat

Taff36 13:41 09 Jun 2004

Not sure what you mean by can`t get into the site. The second link takes you to a page that details how to manually uninstall Trend Pc-cillen 2000. (I presume this is the version you mentioned in your first post) It doesn`t ask for any information about your installation it just tells you how to uninstall it. I have downloaded the helpfile from the bottom of the web page in Word Format.

Can you see this page and the instructions or is it that you can`t follow them?

blackpat 07:38 10 Jun 2004

Right Taff, got it !!! Duh !!I managed to get rid of my old anti virus programme, but still the new Norton won't install. It goes so far and then it says "Norton installation as failed, do you want to try again?" I try again and then it says "ERROR, The system cannot read from the specified device" But it don't tell me what else to do. Any ideas Taff??
Regards, Blackpat

Taff36 07:52 10 Jun 2004

"system cannot read from the specified device" - Suggests to me that your installation CD is either dirty, scratched or duff! Either clean it or borrow your partners (but use your product key when registering on-line of course). If no luck there I`d go back to Norton`s helpline and ask them what else this error message might mean.

spanneress 08:40 10 Jun 2004

Don't know if this is any help but Norton IS 2004 earns me more money than anything! If there is a previously installed IS or AV of any kind regardless of whether you have deleted it or not, it will not install. 9 times out of 10 I tell my customers to take it back and download PC Cillin, Zone Alarm or load on an old NAV version I have which is happy to load then update.

I also have to tell you that on Semantic and all over the web it is well documented that Norton 2004 is a huuuuge pain in the proverbial for this reason and many hundreds are having the same problem.

Take it back is my best advice.

blackpat 09:12 10 Jun 2004

Taff, I did as you said and borrowed my partners installation cd and it went on no problems at all. I'm so happy, I could crush a grape :>). It seems I have a duff cd. I will have to contact norton and tell them. Once again, very many thanks,

Spanneress, I have had trend pc-cillin on my computer for years with no trouble, but when I upgraded to w xp, I lost it and didn't have a cd to reinstall it, Hence the norton internet security on offer. Blackpat

blackpat 09:14 10 Jun 2004

Taff, I did as you said and borrowed my partners installation cd and it went on no problems at all. I'm so happy, I could crush a grape :>). It seems I have a duff cd. I will have to contact norton and tell them. Once again, very many thanks,

Spanneress, I have had trend pc-cillin on my computer for years with no trouble, but when I upgraded to w xp, I lost it and didn't have a cd to reinstall it, Hence the norton internet security on offer. Blackpat

Taff36 15:39 10 Jun 2004

Don`t forget to give us a big green tick by hitting the resolved button then! Glad it` s OK.

Spanneress - My IT chap hates Norton too and we use Mcafee ASAP on our network. Brilliant. But I can`t say I`ve ever had a problem with NAV on my laptop apart from having to eradicate traces of previous AntiVirus software before installation. Even Nortons own! Daft isn`t it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?