Norton Ghost 2003 and XP CD-R eject trouble

phixer 22:41 01 Aug 2003

As the title describes every time I try to back up with Ghost one of the CD-Rs fails to eject so that the job can complete. It could be any one of the discs it seems, although I have only got as far as disc 7 so far and have accumulated quite a stacdk of 'bird scarers'. Different batches and makes of disc tried.

I did have a problem with burning CD-R in general where a large number of files of a compilation would prove corrupted on verify. Different files each time. This happened even with only 340Mb being written. This was sorted when MESH technical advised changing a device driver setting for that drive to PIO (from DMA), terms I understand btw.

Nero 5.xx in use on XP Home with Service pack one so the fix on the MS site pointed at from the Nero site was a waste of time downloading.

It would seem that XP has a weekness with CD writing, judging by the comments recently in editorial of a photography magazine to which I subscribe.

The CD writer, a TEAC CD-W540E is not in the list of known proved drives, but heck should I put up with this trouble.

Who do I yell at; MESH, MS or Symantec?

All hardware and software, except SystemWorks 2003, supplied by MESH.

The grim reaper could not hold me so I am back to haunt somebody. ;-)

pc moron 23:07 01 Aug 2003

Have a look at the TEAC site, I think there's a firmware update for your burner. click here

pc moron 23:12 01 Aug 2003

Exact link doesn't work- select Firmware from the above link, the firmware update mentions buring issues with XP.

phixer 18:10 03 Aug 2003

Thanks for your response, have downloaded the update, now what?

I guess that the file downloaded is a self-extracting archive but firmware suggests modifications to a program held in chip to be overwritten or has the definition of firmware become less well delineated than previously?

As I have not, because of the nature of the problem, created a recent back-up, I am bothered that things could go pear-shaped and then the readership of the veterans journal I produce will be waiting longer for their next edition.

pc moron 23:12 03 Aug 2003

Yes, the download will update the embedded software in your burner.

Double click the file and it will create four more files in a folder/destination of your choice.

Carefully read the install instructions and follow them precisely.

Mango Grummit 23:43 03 Aug 2003

I don't use Ghost but I have had this problem with Drive Image. Mostly it would be OK but sometimes what you describe would occur.

What I do now is create the image (in 500 chunks) to the hard drive then copy to CD's using Nero 5.5. Never had a problem using this method.

You could try this with Ghost. At least you'll only waste one CD if it does not work for you.

regards, M

jimv7 08:21 04 Aug 2003

A lot of writer problems stem from DMA (direct memory access) NOT being enabled, if your burner has a fault with this I would look to change my writer.

phixer 13:24 04 Aug 2003

When appraised of the problem MESH technical advised switching from DMA to PIO.

If to have DMA working with a CD writer requires a change then this should be down to MESH to do, on site as I am reluctant to let it off site before I have had the chance to make a reliable back-up, as the machine is less than a year old and was supplied in this condition.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?