Norton Firewall 2004 crippling connection speed

Captain Chris 20:31 03 Mar 2004

Since installing Norton Personal Firewall (NPF) 2004 recently, my internet connection speed on a 56k modem has reduced from a regular 49k+ to somewhere between a pitiful 12k and 20k!

The Symantec online tech support has been less than helpful - the "knowledge base" refers to the problem for NPF 2004 but the details of what to do to try to solve it are totally useless. More specifically, it seems that this known problem (in 2003 & earlier versions) has a fix (i.e. changing when NPF loads during startup) that has been simply copied across for the NPF 2004 fix - the problem is that the filename(s) that the fix suggests to be relocated, etc., do not exist in NPF 2004!!

Furthermore, the Symantec online Automated Support Assistant (which apparently lets you post a technical query), doesn't seem to want to talk to my system!!!

I understand that I can use Telephone Technical Support, but that this priviledge will cost me £18!!!!

I have registered my unhappiness with Symantec Customer Service, but didn't get any joy!!!!!

Is there anyone out there who has any ideas as to what I can usefully do to sort this out??????????

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:39 03 Mar 2004

If you want to use a firewall try Outpost from click here. It is free and causes no conflicts.

G

Captain Chris 12:37 05 Mar 2004

G

Thanks for the suggestion, but having only just bought and installed NPF 2004 I really want to get my connection speed thing sorted out

Is there anyone out there who has any ideas as to what I can usefully do to sort this out??????????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?