Norton anti-virus 2002 protecting xp

Tijs 16:31 08 Jun 2003

Is it really necessary to have an anti-virus program protecting Windows xp?

I have Norton 2002 that was already built in when I bought my pc package and just required setting up.

Would the built in firewall with xp be adequate and if so how would I go about setting the firewall up??

bremner 16:42 08 Jun 2003

Absolutely not. The firewall will not prevent a destructive virus attacking your system via e mail, internet download or an infected floppy or CD Rom.

bremner 16:43 08 Jun 2003

Having read my post it answered your last sentence to answer the first you must have a anti virus program

layland 16:53 08 Jun 2003

Tijs, Listen to bremners advise. I have Nortons Systemworks 2002 which includes NAV and thieir Firewall. It only costs £8 to update the annual subscriptions and when you see how many programs are knocking at your computers port you will be glad to have it.
Safe surfing

jazzypop 17:13 08 Jun 2003

An anti-virus program, and a software firewall, do two completely separate jobs.

You definitely need a good anti-virus program - stick with Norton, it definitely one of the better ones.

As for the firewall - XP's built-in firewall does a good job of preventing unwanted communication from the Internet into your PC. However, it does nothing at all to prevent unwanted communication from a program on your PC to the Internet.

I recommend Sygate (free version, available from sygate.com), instead of the built-in firewall that comes with XP.

Tijs 18:44 08 Jun 2003

Thanx for the advice people!

Tijs 18:45 08 Jun 2003

Thanx for the advice people!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)