Noisy motherboard

Violet44 06:40 23 Jun 2006

My computer makes a terrible buzzing noise all the time it is switched on. My son has put a new power drive in just in case it was this that was causing it, but it is no better, and it is quite annoying. Now he thinks it is a small black item behind the power drive that looks like a small whirly thing that is causing it. Please excuse my way of describing things, but I am too old to remember all the names of items in my computer. Hope you can help me.
Violet Smith

Diodorus Siculus 07:52 23 Jun 2006

It's possbly a fan on the motherboard. Does it look like a fan? Perhaps like this:

click here

Belatucadrus 11:50 23 Jun 2006

If you have a fan on your motherboard, it's probably the Northbridge chipset cooling fan. If there's enough room this can be replaced with a Zalman silent passive cooler click here Not only silent, they don't wear out.

Totally-braindead 13:17 23 Jun 2006

My last motherboard went through 3 Northbridge fans in about 2 years, the noise was very irritating. I went with Belatucadrus's suggestion, fitted a Zalman passive heatsink and its fine 3 years on. My new PC according to others has a tendency to have a noisy fan as well, if it goes I'll change it to a passive one as well. I can only assume a lot of manufacturers use cheap Northbridge fans.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts