noisy arctic 64 pro

LITEON 05:38 10 Sep 2006

can anyone suggest what could be wrong with my arctic 64 pro,4 days ago i bought this but the noise its making is same as my athlons heatsink????

STREETWORK 07:14 10 Sep 2006

As this is supposed to be a silent cooling system, it should not make much noise. Is it still under warrentee?

Check theere is nothing touching the fans (packaging).

LITEON 08:10 10 Sep 2006

it has 6yrs warraty,i have checked everything they seem all ok
just oe thing my motherboard has 9 holes to mout the motherboard i only used four pillars,do u think that can all the noise???

STREETWORK 08:54 10 Sep 2006

Ahhh...get some screws and fix it correctly then check if the problem goes away...

Mr Mistoffelees 09:41 10 Sep 2006

If the noise doesn't go away you could try one of these click here both quiet and very efficient.

DrScott 13:19 10 Sep 2006

the heatsink and fan correctly (and remember to use thermal paste) or you the fan will spin up too much, plus you'll get a lot of vibration noise.

DieSse 14:58 10 Sep 2006

This is an interesting review - with a warning in it about mounting orientation.

click here

It gives the noise output as 50.1dBA - personally I would have regarded this as very loud. It certainly is not ultra quiet. My own CPU fan is rated at 14dBA - and that's almost inaudible (though my processors cooling needs are less than yours).

The unit has it's own heat sink compound pre-applied - so you should have cleaned off all the old compound, and not applied any more.

Personally I think you may have replaced a noisy cooler with another noisy cooler. Thermaright heatsinks are very good indeed - and on some you can choose your own fan - the larger the better.

Good selection click here

IMO you should be looking for noise factors below 20dBA ish.

LITEON 17:35 10 Sep 2006

am going to get mounting screws tomorrow and see if it goes away
few more info i want to add
on start up the fans rpm 2500
amd heatsink was 3500
northbrige fan (4cm)5000+ but its dead silent

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?