No wifi in one room on one phone

Shaun Dowling 19:29 11 May 2019

I have wifi over the house and it works fine, however, my daughter's Sony Xperia couldn't get wifi in her bedroom (Wifi sign with apostrophe). Myself, my wife and my eldest daughter can get a signal just fine. Thinking it was a problem with her phone as it was about 5 years old, I replaced her phone with a Samsung S7 Edge and also changed network. Her new phone also can't find the wifi signal. Am I missing something?

difarn 22:01 11 May 2019

Can she connect in other rooms of the house?

Shaun Dowling 14:47 12 May 2019

Thanks for the reply. Her phone works okay in all other rooms.

difarn 21:46 12 May 2019

This is quite strange. If you have a dual band router has your daughter tried connecting to the other band - either 2.4 or 5 ghz - when in her room?

Shaun Dowling 23:24 12 May 2019

I'm not really tech savvy so not sure. It's a Virgin Media hub and the phone is just connected how we normally connect. Is there another way to do it then?

difarn 12:24 13 May 2019

It it is a dual band router then there are two available frequencies. 2.4GHz and 5GHz. The first gives a slower but wider range and the latter a faster but shorter range. In some cases individual users on individual devices have the option to choose which one they want when they see available wifi networks. I'm not sure you can do that with the Virgin Hub.

According to this article it is a dual-band router. If you wanted to get into the admin pages of your hub then you need to follow the instructions given. Your password will be on the router. Remember to type the figures given into the URL bar and not the search engine (Google etc). Because you will be changing the band in the router then I would imagine that will be the band that all devices will have to connect to. You could try and see if it solves the problem on your daughter's phone in her bedroom.

If it is a dual band router then when you search for available networks it usually shows both 2.4 and 5ghz - you click on which one you want. The 2.4ghz gives you moare range but a weaker signal, the 5 ghz give a stronger and faster signal but a shorter range and may have more difficulty penetrating walls. According to this article the Virgin Media Hub is dual band - it gives you instructions on how to access your router admin pages.

Before you do that try right-clicking on the available wifi networks on your daughter's phone to see if the two options come up there.

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:30 13 May 2019

Wifi sign with apostrophe usually means you have signal but not signed in

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Pokémon Sword and Shield preview

The Best New Illustration and Graphic Design Talent from Brighton and Middlesex Universities

macOS Catalina Preview: First look at the new Mac update

Les meilleures enceintes Bluetooth à moins de 150 euros