no sound on xp

ripendigging 11:24 21 Feb 2011

My sound has suddenly gone from my pc.In device manager I get the message,Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus: This device is not configured correctly.code 1.The motherboard is P5G-MX Asus,I have the disc for the motherboard drivers etc.When I download drivers it starts to download Realtek H.D. Audio Driver then I get a Fail to download message.Is it broken?

JanetO 11:50 21 Feb 2011

Try deleting the sound device in device manager and reboot. It then should automatically locate the driver and install.

ripendigging 12:00 21 Feb 2011

Will not uninstall.Message reads, needed for boot up.Checked in the bios and it is enabled.

GaT7 13:18 21 Feb 2011

For the Audio Device error, try running a Windows Update scan & download+install from there.

1. Visit the Windows Update site: click here

2. Click on 'Custom' button to run the scan

3. Once the scan completes, click on the 'Hardware, Optional' link in the left column

4. Install the 'ATI - Sound - ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio - ATI AA01'

5. You may need to reboot for it to take effect.

It happens to me sometimes, so I've also made a screenshot to remind me what to do click here.

If no joy with the above, I think this error may be related to the Microsoft KB article click here. So if you get their 'Fixit' pop-up on visiting the above link, click on the 'Run now' button & you may get offered a special download to resolve it. G

ripendigging 15:12 21 Feb 2011

I have tried both methods with no success,are the usb sound cards worth trying,I note they are very cheap.?

GaT7 16:11 21 Feb 2011

Let's try a few more things before you buy a replacement soundcard...

Visit the Asus site for your motherboard click here, then click on the Download tab > Operating System > WinXP > Utilities. Download & install 'Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/2003 HD Audio Patch KB888111'. Reboot the PC.

You should also try the latest Realtek audio driver click here. G

ripendigging 14:53 22 Feb 2011

Thankyou for all your help,I have tried what you advised Crossbow, but failed.The downloads get right to the end,then a failure box appears.
On bootup I am still getting the message that the device is not working correctly.Thankyou again.

GaT7 15:00 22 Feb 2011

If you pm me (via the yellow envelope next to my username), I can send you the KB888111 file via email as it's quite small. Does your email/ISP allow attachments of about 3Mb?

Are you having problems downloading other files as well? G

ripendigging 15:21 22 Feb 2011

Thankyou Crossbow,I have downloaded and run both the files including the KB file,but nothing works.

GaT7 15:24 22 Feb 2011

Did you reboot after installing both?

And did you try the KB888111 'XP SP2' one? G

GaT7 15:41 22 Feb 2011

OK, I think I know what's wrong. In order to install KB888111 on XP SP3, you need to do a small registry edit as explained at click here. Set a manual System Restore point before attempting.

If you need help with it, just ask. I can also provide an alternative way (w/o opening the registry), that you can make yourself to achieve the same.

Ignore this post if you've managed to resolve it in the meantime. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?