NO SOUND ON MY P/C AFTER XP UPGRADE

ROY-202110 21:08 23 Apr 2004

I HAVE A PACKARD BELL iEXTREME P/C WITH WINDOWS ME IT WAS PRE-INSTALLED WITH SOUNDMAX INTEGRATED DIGITAL AUDIO..I HAVE PURCHASED AN XP UP-GRADE AND AFTER INSTALLING I HAD NO SOUND ON MY P/C I ALSO RECEIVED THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE...[ SOUNDMAX DIGITAL AUDIO HAS NOT PASSED WINDOWS LOGO TESTING TO VERIFY ITS CONPATABILITY WITH WINDOWS XP ]...CONTINUING YOUR INSTALLATION OF THIS SOFTWARE MAY IMPAIR OR DESTABILIZE THE CORRECT OPERATION OF YOUR SYSTEM EITHER IMEDIATELY OR IN THE FUTURE..HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM IF SO HOW DID YOU FIX IT...AS LUCK HAD IT I WAS ABLE TO RE-INSTALL MY WINDOWS ME....BUT I HAVE A COSTLY WINDOWS XP UP-GRADE I AM UNABLE TO USE..HELP!!

Totally-braindead 21:13 23 Apr 2004

Capital letters are deemed as shouting by the way, just letting you know as some people don't like it. Check the Packard Bell website for an updated sound card driver, if there isn't one then you can install XP using the old driver which may or may not cause problems the only way to find out is to try. Or you buy a cheap sound card, you can get them for about £10 but if you go this way then I'd try to get a Soundblaster one for about £20.

Totally-braindead 21:16 23 Apr 2004

Heres the Packard Bell website support page
click here

Gongoozler 21:25 23 Apr 2004

Hi RJOHNS. I think you have 3 options here. First you can go to the Packard-Bell website and see if you can download Windows XP drivers for the Soundmax onboard sound. Second, you can find the make and model of your motherboard (download and run Belarc Advisor click here or AIDA32 click here to find out) and go to the makers website to see if you can download the Windows XP driver for the Soundmax onboard sound. Third, disable the onboard sound, buy a PCI soundcard and use that instead.

deadneat 21:35 23 Apr 2004

If it were me i would take Gongoozler 3rd option.
fit a PCI soundblaster. You wil need to disable the onboard one in the bios. Funny cos PACKARD BELL reccomends XP on their PC'S. Is this your PC click here . You should have 2 free PCI slots. Hope this helps

ROY-202110 21:43 23 Apr 2004

Thanks guys i am looking into all your options...I have an EVERGREEN 2 mother board..and an iEXTREME 9600 p/c...sorry for shouting braindead i was just trying to get my problem noticed.....

Totally-braindead 21:59 23 Apr 2004

Doesn't bother me mate just thought some of the others might take offence.

Totally-braindead 22:03 23 Apr 2004

Found it
click here
This appears to explain the problem its designated as a win 2000 driver can't see one for XP

Totally-braindead 22:13 23 Apr 2004

Found one on click here .
Login as "drivers" and "all" and search for ADI 1881 there are 2 listed there, whether they will work or not is a different story. If I was you I'd install XP and use the driver from Packard Bell for Win 2000. Try it and see if it works, if it does fine if not or if your computer crashes because of it then buy a cheap soundblaster as I suggested earlier. Only suggesting this as I'm Scottish and tight with money, the simplest solution is to buy a Soundblaster and to be honest with you the sound would be better as well, but I'm a skinflint and like sorting out problems.

ROY-202110 22:26 23 Apr 2004

Thanks Braindead for your help i have tried e/mailing packard bell web site for help but have never had a reply..typical they want you to buy thier p/cs but when it comes to help with sorting out probs they dont want to know...i reckon the best option would be to buy a new sound card...but first i will try your suggestion and download the win 2000 driver..would it be ok to download it on my win/me or should i try to install win/xp again then download it...sorry to sound such a nerd but the price you pay for a p/c the last thing i want to do is bugger my system up...

jonny4 01:31 24 Apr 2004

I had the same problem last time I re-installed.XP
It just needs a new soundcard driver which you can download for free. Unfortunately my main computers hard drive is shagged, so I can't give you a link,Im on an old pc with no memory of the future.But try downloading another player like Winamp <click here> or Nero <click here>
and if you go to windows XPhelp on your startup page that'll get you through to your soundcard set up page to make sure it is enabled. The settings on all kinds of things can change on an upgrade or re-install. Good luck jonny4

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?