No Sound :(

Ardillo06 22:21 31 Jan 2008

Hi! My problem is I have no sound! It was fine one day then vanished! Nothing is on 'mute', speakers are brand new and the audio device detects Realtek AC'97-although I have a soundblaster 5.1 soundcard!! So that makes no sense. I tried downloading soundblaster drivers but it says it can't detect the hardware?! I physically went into the tower and checked nothings out of place-its all fine. I bought the pc from the classifieds and it was home built so the specs are: ABIT AV8 motherboard, NIVIDIA GeForce 6600 graphics card & my soundcard. I got a new geforce driver just in case but that didn't work. I would really appreciate any advice/suggestions! The only thing I havn't done is re-install windows as I don't have a memory card yet! Thankyou for your time :)

brundle 22:54 31 Jan 2008

Control Panel/, Sounds & Audio devices ; make sure Playback device is set to Creative/Soundblaster.

Stuartli 00:05 01 Feb 2008

This is probably the thread title that beats all the rest...:-)

click here

Ardillo06 12:10 01 Feb 2008

The playback is set to realtek and thats the only option I have??!! How on earth do I change it :/. The guy I brught it from has left me no cd or info for the soundcard so re-installing is not an option. Please help :)

brundle 12:12 01 Feb 2008

Where are you audio leads plugged in - at the back of the machine near all the other periphals (USB, mouse, keyboard etc) or into the SB card? Does Device Manager show the SB card?

Stuartli 12:16 01 Feb 2008

You need to Disable AC '97 onboard sound in the Bios.

Ardillo06 13:13 01 Feb 2008

I FIXED IT I FIXED IT!!!! Thankyou for all your help but the problem was very simple and I've been very stupid! Thanks again :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

HomePod review

Streaming : Netflix ou Amazon Prime Video ?