No post beep or monitor output

Suzuki ITFC 20:13 17 Mar 2005

Can someone please help, I have a HP Pavilion 7865 on Windows XP. All was running fine till yesterday. When I turn on the computer I hear the fans and hard drive start up but when I turn on the monitor it goes green like its coming on then turns back to the orange standby light. I also don't hear a post beep!

Could it be the CMOs battery or something else?

Thanks in Advance.

pavel 20:21 17 Mar 2005

I have a machine that had a similar problem , on complete shut down it only partly restarts. I half solved this by turning off pc unpluging the power cable and reseating the RAM yes I know this is a bodge but if this works it may expose the real reason for the problem which in my case was a BIOS update was needed.
Bless you

Technotiger 20:23 17 Mar 2005

Hi, this is an indication of power problem - probably means your psu is dying - replace psu.

pavel 20:24 17 Mar 2005

While your in the casing make sure all power connectors and cables , pci cards etc are secure infact the golden rule is check the obvious first ie, exterior cables cables.
Good hunting

Storik 20:30 17 Mar 2005

Well it's a couple of weeks since my computer did the self same thing. Fine the night before, refused to boot the following morning - no error beeps - nothing.

Now in my case, and it may not be your problem, it turned out to be a faulty memory module. I had two luckily, and trying each one separately found that one was causing the problem and replaced it.

Everything has been fine since - so with a bit of luck, it may be simply rectified.

Good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Explore Milton Glaser's iconic poster designs from the 1960s to present, including Bob Dylan, I…

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts