No Internet Connection on XP Desktop

woodchip 15:27 28 Sep 2013
Answered

How do I get to connect with a old Medion Desktop? Modem built into motherboard, Running XP Home in Networking in Control Panel it says this

1394 Net Connection Adapter #2

Network Bridge Mac Miniport

I have set it to connect Automatic.

When I try Repair it says cannot renew IP Address.

It shows it as sending Packets, but not receiving none, I take it that it is a Communication Problem between Router and Modem. On talktalk BB it will connect okay with WiFi Dongle but I now have the router next to PC and would rather it is connected by Ethernet

bumpkin 22:17 28 Sep 2013

Woodchip it is a Pluscom gigabit LAN card NGP-RTL8169. Not a wireless card it needs a cable connection which I though was what you wanted. Check it out and see if it is what you need.

woodchip 22:23 28 Sep 2013

Right so N does not apply in this case. Its only for Wireless. you will have to excuse this old silly billy/ so how could I get it?

I have had a look and i do have a free PCI slot

bumpkin 22:29 28 Sep 2013

woodchip, not silly at all, helped me in the past. If you contact me via the private envelope thing and give me your address I will post it Monday.

bumpkin 23:12 28 Sep 2013

If you do send a private message please post here to say that you have done so, problems in the past.

woodchip 15:08 29 Sep 2013

Sent Message Details just now, after switching on Laptop.

Thank's very much for the above. I realise a lot does not like me for my speaking out on some things, as I can be Different to what is common thinking.

Age is starting to have it's effects now on me also

bumpkin 15:28 29 Sep 2013

" I realise a lot does not like me for my speaking out"

Say what you like, if others don't like it then their problem, we can't all be the same.

I will confirm here when I have your Email.

bumpkin 16:04 29 Sep 2013

Woodchip, I have your address now and will post it in the morning.

"Tell me what I need to give you to cover costs etc"

The cost is a postage stamp but you can have that on me, I am renowned for my generosity:-))

woodchip 16:29 29 Sep 2013

Thank you very much, I may be able to help you out one day.

PS I was a Joiner but nearly 40 years working for self. Subbed for MFI fitting Kitchens and Bedrooms plus odd bathroom. Did all Electrical work including Ringmains etc and was Corgi Registered for a time. Repaired Cars and motorcycles over the years including Mig Welding and car Spraying. plus much more got a fund or now how but not much els, body cannot do much nowhere days

woodchip 13:55 01 Oct 2013
Answer

bumpkin Got the Card through the letter box while I was at Tesco's Going to fit it latter as I need to fit a new Frame round the CPU as the one that came with the PC plastic clips broke. I did find an old Netgear 10/1000 and XP installed it but think its a bit out of touch with today's world as it seems to give a delay w3hen clicking on things in web pages. So Thank you very much for sending it, I will post again when I have fitted the Frame and Card

woodchip 20:17 01 Oct 2013

When I ran the Setup EXE on the CD it says no Network Card Present, So finished up putting the old Netgear card back in. But not to worry as at l;east I can connect using Ethernet cable in Duplex Mode.

Thank you for trying Woodchip

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo A9 2020 Review

The year's best animated short Hair Love is finally online

Mac Pro 2019 release date, price, features & specs

Cdiscount : la PS4 Pro 1 To + 5 jeux à moins de 400 €