No HDD on boot up

Drifter 16:31 17 Dec 2003

I have an interesting little prob, put together a new system and had to change the Intellimouse as I kept getting lots of single bleeps and 5sec freezes. It's OK now with an old 3 button mouse but will never boot up 1st time, it can't find the primary master drive. If I reset, it boots up fine.
Using ECS K7SOM+ rev7 MoBo
Duron1800+(1200MHz) CPU
256Mb ddr266 PC2100 RAM
and XP OS.
Anybody got any ideas?
thanks in advance,
Adrian

xania 16:39 17 Dec 2003

You indicate that the old type mouse works OK but your intellimouse does not. If your intellimouse worked previously, I doubt that's causing a problem which leave the mobo at fault. Now your HD is only being seen if you reset. How old is this motherboard? I suspect that you have a fault somewhere. If new, I would get it tested/replaced by the supplier.

stupidhead 16:43 17 Dec 2003

I've had a smiliar problem, (different mobo though), but I found the workround was to change the HDD to Cable Select from Master....

It did the trick.....hope that helps

Drifter 16:44 17 Dec 2003

Yes, the mouse was fine before on another PC, the MoBo, cpu, HDD and RAM are all new from ebuyer, are there any progs I could use to check the MoBo?
Thanks

Drifter 16:48 17 Dec 2003

interesting thought, Stupidhead, I have the HDD as Primary Master and the CDROM as Secondary Master, but I shall check my settings and try your work around, Do I need special IDE cables for cable select?
Thanks, Adrian

Stormpool 16:49 17 Dec 2003

nope

Drifter 17:24 17 Dec 2003

Sorted!!!!
I had the HDD set to MASTER WITH SLAVE PRESENT, instead of master/single. Now boots up in 5sec first time. Sorry everybody. Another error I won't make again?????
Cheers
Adrian

Drifter 17:30 17 Dec 2003

And the other mouse is fine now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)