No display, no beeps, fans are working

JustHACE 16:11 27 Jul 2019

So yesterday my computer was hit and it froze immediately. I have turned it off and tried to turn it on again. Leds were flashing, fans were spinning, but there was no display and 0 beeps.

I have reseated everything few times, nothing changed. I have checked monitor and cables, they are fine. I have tested multiple RAMs, once a lot (30 at least) of short beeps appeared, so I guess that was because of a faulty RAM. I have checked PSU voltages and it shows 5.30V instead of 4.75-5.25, so that may be the case. CPU doesn't have physical damages, mobo is slightly bent, because of a heatsink I guess, but that may be a problem aswell.

Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 and PSU is Tacens Radix V650

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:05 27 Jul 2019

I'm assuming you can get into BIOS? or did you get voltages using a multimeter?

Where was it hit?

anything under motherboard shorting to the case?

JustHACE 17:14 27 Jul 2019

Well, I can't get to the BIOS, but maybe I am doing aomethong wrong. There is no POST sound, no display, no LEDs on mouse or keyboard indicating that PC my turned on. Just LEDs on case and GPU.

Yes, I have used multimeter. It was hit in the front side. I don't think that anything is shorting, but I will try breadboarding tomorrow.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 08:28 28 Jul 2019

Do you normally get a POST sound? are case fans running? have you removed refitted the cpu?

Try booting without any drives fitted, see if it beeps then or goes to an error message.

JustHACE 08:48 28 Jul 2019

I borrowed mobo speaker from my friend after the accident, so I don't really know if there was a POST sound before.

Case fans are running and I have reseated CPU. I tried to boot it without drives and nothing changes. Zero beeps or messages.

Also I have tried breadbording. Still no display, no beeps.

JustHACE 09:21 28 Jul 2019

I have just saw that sometimes CPU fan and one of GPU's fans aren't spinning. It's like they work at random.

Also I forgot about one thing. I have had some issues with RAM earlier. I had 3 sticks and all of them were working, but after inserting 3 or 2 of them, my PC had some problems (no display or some RAM wasn't available)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:38 28 Jul 2019

disconnect all power leads to PC press and hold the power button for 30seconds, reconnct power lead and retry, what happens?

JustHACE 09:46 28 Jul 2019

Still no display, no beeps, some fans are spinning, one of GPU fans is spinning just for a second.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:16 28 Jul 2019

What happens if yo try to boot with the GPU removed? I assume there is no dedicated on board graphics you can connect to?

JustHACE 10:19 28 Jul 2019

Yeah, there is no on board graphics. When I try to boot without GPU there are no beeps, case fans are spinning, CPU fan isn't. Also LEDs on keyboard and mouse doesn't work.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:31 28 Jul 2019

SOunding like either a power supply problem to the board (easy way isto try a substitute PSU)

or a motherboard failure if CPU fan is not turning.

a site to check out is NO POST at click here it runs through various checks

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The best of Gamescom 2019

Best free Photoshop brushes 2019

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs smartphones incassables (2019)