No dialup sounds

dangermouse 14:57 08 Mar 2003

When connecting to my dialup account, I can't hear the tones through the speaker. All other programs using audio work OK.

I checked modem properties, and under 'speaker volume', instead of ranging from Off to High, there is only a choice of On or Off - it's in the On position.

The modem is SoftK56 with latest driver - any ideas ??

jediknight007 14:59 08 Mar 2003

Is your modem set to Pulse Dialing instead of Tone Dialing?

dangermouse 15:05 08 Mar 2003

Tone dialling.

AndyJ 15:15 08 Mar 2003

Don't know if this will help click here

bruno 16:52 08 Mar 2003

which o/s are you using?I dual boot 98se and xp pro.I hear all the noises on 98,but nothing on xp.Still connects ok,though.

helcat 19:31 08 Mar 2003

My o/s is XP Home. When I right click on the volume icon in the systems tray and the on "Open volume control" I get a dialogue box with 7 sliders. The one second from the right is "phone" which controls my modem sound.

fishmad pete 20:33 08 Mar 2003

Did you ever hear any dial up noise. When I changed my modem I lost the dial up sounds because the modem card didn't have a loud speaker. Most modem noises come from its own loudspeaker. Unless it has software to use the systems sound card.

Stuartli 20:57 08 Mar 2003

Most computer systems have a small speaker in the base of the case - I've always presumed, because of the quality, that this is also used by the modem, especially as you can turn the modem sound low, medium or high.

It's in Settings>Control Panel>Modem>General tab, where you can adjust the volume slider.

bruno 23:23 08 Mar 2003

As I said in an earlier post, is it because you use xp?I have never had it since installation.Has anybody else got modem sound on xp?

cracker23 23:35 08 Mar 2003

I have XP and have the dial-up tones but have turned them off.I did it by:-Right click on IE icon on desktop,click on properties,click on connections,properties,click configure under modem and there is a box to tick(or untick)for"enable modem speaker".Hope this helps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?