No desktop display booting ok

jerica 17:34 14 Apr 2019

Hi, pc working fine two days ago, just turned it on, got to the start screen ok, then put in my passcode and then nothing. Black screen that eventually came up with a small white box with "failed to create key". Task manager working ok, rebooted several times, always the same. P5kse mobo, Intel 9650, I think, processor. The working light is flickering away, has there been a Win10 update? Anyone got any clues? Thanks.

jerica 17:38 14 Apr 2019

PS, if I click the ok button the failed key box it comes up with another box with unknown file format, and task manager says that the file type advisor is running. J.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:05 14 Apr 2019

Sounds like it is trying to create a registry key but does not have permission. will it boot to safemode?

jerica 20:33 14 Apr 2019

Stupid question but how do I do that with Win10?

john bunyan 21:00 14 Apr 2019

Try option 2 :

safe mode windows 10

jerica 16:57 15 Apr 2019

OK, I tried step 2, it asked if I wanted to repair the drive I clicked yes then it said it couldn't repair the drive so I tried to start it in safe mode but it just went to normal reboot and all I've got is a black screen with the pointer on it. It just popped a notice up saying it cannot find the system 32 desktop file. I can get task manager but it's very sluggish. I did manage to get into he bios but not sure what I should be looking for.

jerica 17:16 15 Apr 2019

Tried a system restore and got this code. (0x80070003) Since then have managed to start in safemode but not sure where to go now

john bunyan 17:50 15 Apr 2019

Open a command prompt in admin mode then run SFC / scannow . Note space after sfc.

To open command prompt type cmd in box near start button and choose admin option

jerica 19:00 15 Apr 2019

Restarted it again and this time still black screen but with the rubbish bin in the top left corner. Clicked on it and got into win 32 but don't know what to look for. John do you mean in safe mode?

john bunyan 19:38 15 Apr 2019

I thought you said it opened in safe mode - in your 17.16 post. If you have win 32 showing try typing sfc /scannow

john bunyan 19:39 15 Apr 2019

Hopefully others such as Fruit Bat or x13 will chime in with more help

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

How to create a robot painting in Photoshop

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

French Days 2019 : dates, sites participants & bons plans