Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review
For some reason my PC no longer thinks it has a CD Drive.
I can find no link to it, nothing happens when I insert a disk, and I have tried installing another CD Drive but still nothing.
Does the cd drive show in MY Computer
Any error codes.
Missing cd/dvd drives can be normally associated with the removal of burning software such as Nero/Roxio/Sonic etc.
Try the below link first,if still no luck follow the Procedure of removing the upper and lower filters.
If you have further any error codes,please post them.
Restore Missing CD/Dvd Drives
Missing cd/dvd drive
If it is showing an error code:
Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
, delete the drive.
Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)
1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen
Reboot your computer
If in any doubt editing the registry,please create a System Restore point first.
Creating a System Restore point:
Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore…follow the prompts.
check in the bios that the cdrom drive hasnt become disabled, if someone has been in the bios who doesnt understand it then it could have been turned off in there.
if the cd does not spin when you insert a disc then i would perhaps point towards a power supply problem, try changing the power plug for a different one and see if that helps, also check the IDE cable for damage whilst inside the pc, if it is damaged then it wont pass the data.
sooooo nice to get feedback on what solved the problem.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.