newly formatted, old HDD problem.

Ramification 21:06 13 May 2004

hi. could anyone help on this problem please?
ive just formatted my young bro's HDD because it was full of junk files and windows was corrupted.(98) i couldnt format the drive from where it was in the pc,before this i tried running from the win 98 on there but i couldnt delete the partition after starting XP from there as it needed files already on the disk. so i put it in my pc (xp) and formatted it first to NTFS then FAT32. neither would work -i put back in bros pc, put in the xp disk and nothing happened at start up.
says the following:
AMIBIOS 96
CELEON 300MZ
PRI MASTER HDD ERROE
PRI SLAVE ATAPI INCOMPATIBLE
RUN SETUP
F1 TO RESUME

after f1,
SEARCH FOR THE BOOT RECORD FROM FLOPPY NOT FOUND
FROM SCSI NOT FOUND
DRIVE NOT READY
INSERT DISC A:

the hdd is set to master. no other h/drives. its a 4Gb samsung.

please help !

Fruit Bat 21:20 13 May 2004

DRIVE NOT READY INSERT DISC A

You need a window 98 rescue disk in the floppy drive to boot Computer.
When booted from 'A' a:\format c: /s to copy system files to your hdisk. the disk also has drivers to run your cd so you can then type d:\setup to reinstall windows

Ramification 21:35 13 May 2004

window 98 rescue disc. dont have one. thanks have i not done my formatting the correct way then?!

is this disc the only way now? cant i install on the freshly formatted disc?

zanwalk 22:11 13 May 2004

It sounds as thought the spec is a little low for installing XP, I would go back to W98 if I were you, and you will need a W98 bootdisk from here:

click here

Ramification 22:31 13 May 2004

ok, after A:/FORMAT C:/S it says, 'format not supported on drive c: FORMAT TERMINATED.

then it says that the disc in not fat or fat32 but i formatted it as FAT32.....

Ramification 22:52 13 May 2004

i take it i should reformat again? i did a quick formAT. i'll reformat in fat32 and install win 98 then. when i get to install.. sure i'll be back tomorrow! do you think there may be problem with disc? any input welcome. thanks rayburn / fruit bat

Ramification 09:02 14 May 2004

this disk is formatting on my pc fine. but when put into the original pc says 'format not supported on drive c: FORMAT TERMINATED.'
can anyone tell me how to overcome this?

zanwalk 10:26 14 May 2004

The way I would try and resolve a conflict like that would be to download a utility from the HD manufacturer to write '0's to the disk and try formatting from floppy again. There could be a problem in the boot sector that is causing this message to appear. Worth a try anyway.

woodchip 10:40 14 May 2004

Get Partition magic and remove all partitions on the drive then create a new fat32 partition and format it . You have mest it up wit NTFS on your computer

Ramification 20:01 14 May 2004

after deleting the partition and creating a new fat32 partition and formatting sucessfully on my pc, and putting it into other pc,it just says that theres no fat or fat32 system available. all ive done is delete the original partition. what do i need to do?

Ramification 20:01 14 May 2004

after deleting the partition and creating a new fat32 partition and formatting sucessfully on my pc, and putting it into other pc,it just says that theres no fat or fat32 system available. all ive done is delete the original partition. what do i need to do?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)