Newly built pc turning on and off

jenoris 11:58 16 Jan 2018

First time building a pc. Had everything assembled, and now I turn on the pc, everything seems to be fine as the lights and fans work. But after about 10-20s, it shuts off, then turns on again, then off, then on.

I accidentally smudged the pre-applied thermal compound on the cpu fan, so I'm thinking that might be what's causing it. But I can't go out and buy myself a thermal compound as the stores at my place are closed already, and I'd like to know what other possibilities there might be that's causing this.

Jollyjohn 12:20 16 Jan 2018

Is the heatsink properly attached to the cpu mounting? With the PC on it's side, carefully lift the heatsink, you should be able to lift the the whole PC, any slack would suggest that it is not clamped down properly.

alanrwood 12:21 16 Jan 2018

Sounds as though you are going to have to wait until the stores open again. Unless the thermal paste is doing an effective job of transferring the heat generated by the CPU to the dissipation vanes of the cooler the CPU will shut down until it cools. Don't keep doing it as each time it overheats you are stressing the CPU materials and it might fail earlier than normal.

alanrwood 12:21 16 Jan 2018

Sounds as though you are going to have to wait until the stores open again. Unless the thermal paste is doing an effective job of transferring the heat generated by the CPU to the dissipation vanes of the cooler the CPU will shut down until it cools. Don't keep doing it as each time it overheats you are stressing the CPU materials and it might fail earlier than normal.

alanrwood 12:22 16 Jan 2018

Sorry for the double post. It seemed to hang for ages on the first try.

bumpkin 16:09 16 Jan 2018

Try checking for anything shorting out and possbly tripping the thermal cut out on PSU which would then cool down and then start again.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

The best smart speaker: Apple HomePod vs Google Home vs Amazon Echo

Augmentation du tabac : les meilleures applications pour arrĂȘter de fumer