Newby at networking

ratters 14:03 07 May 2006

I am sure this has been asked before but I have been reading the forum for two hours now! so please bear with me.
I am really confused - too much information I think.
I have a Dell Dimension PC and an Acer Travelmate 2420 laptop both with XP Home. All I want to do is to browse the internet on my laptop - it tells me that it is ready to connect to my Broadband (Pipex). I have an external Speedtouch USB modem. Is all that I need a modem router? What is an ethernet cable? Why would you need one if you want to have a wireless network.
Don't understand - haven't got much hair left to pull out.
Please reply in words of one syllable cos my brain has overloaded.
Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 15:32 07 May 2006

1 - according click here your laptop has wireless lan built in. That's good!

2 - I don't know much about your modem - I don't think that it is a router also.

3 - Get something like the D-LINK DSL-G604T WIRELESS AIRPLUS G+ ADSL BROADBAND ROUTER
click here= modem / router.

4 - you will need an ethernet cable (included) to connect the modem to the desktop. Once up and running, you can set up the wireless connection.

Taff™ 20:29 07 May 2006

That`s not the package we both started with! Try click here The same router with a free USB wireless adapter worth £30(For your Desktop) Ethernet cable (for initial setup), an adsl line filter (Useful as a spare cos you`ve probably already got one)for less than £60.

ratters 21:44 07 May 2006

Thank you both - you have made an old woman very happy :)

Taff™ 06:23 08 May 2006

Th fun starts when you open the box and plug it in for the first time! The instructions included are not the best but we`re just a couple of members who have set this one up - there are dozens of others. Just post your problem as soon as you come across it and you`ll have the answer.

Make sure your title says " D-Link G604T" somewhere in the thread title. If you don`t get help within an hour drop me a personal message withthe same title by using the yellow envelope and I`ll pick up the thread.

Good Luck.

Taff™ 06:24 08 May 2006

The fun starts when you open the box and plug it in for the first time! The instructions included are not the best but we`re just a couple of members who have set this one up - there are dozens of others. Just post your problem as soon as you come across it and you`ll have the answer.

Make sure your title says " D-Link G604T" somewhere in the thread title. If you don`t get help within an hour drop me a personal message withthe same title by using the yellow envelope and I`ll pick up the thread.

Good Luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?