new xp virus removal tool

johnnyrocker 14:34 19 Jan 2005

i d/loaded this update last night but cant find it now, does it run automatically or does it need activating of some kind (if one can find it that is ;))

johnny.

johnnyrocker 14:49 19 Jan 2005

if that is so what did i download and install as part of the notified updates please? ( still not taken sp2 but have with all others,

johnny.

johnnyrocker 14:59 19 Jan 2005

i did a search in folders and it found nothing, i am a bit confused now.

johnny.

johnnyrocker 17:15 19 Jan 2005

i can find no reference to any of the files mentioned previously, i dont think a new version of the tool once a month is very preventative, i saw a post elsewhere where someone who ran the tool gave the impression it was accessible and could be run at will?

johnny.

johnnyrocker 20:01 19 Jan 2005

many thanks crx all d/loaded and ran.

johnny

johnnyrocker 13:40 20 Jan 2005

having ticked it and mulled it over a second question comes to mind, and that is with xp when scanning for virus this should be done with system restore disabled,therefore my question is, how does the removal tool get round this?

yours puzzled.

johnny.

johnnyrocker 14:23 20 Jan 2005

because as posted many times here that virii attach themselves to system restore files and get missed by most scanners, or scanner gives a message similar to 'found but unable to heal' or similar, scanning again with system restore disabled provides full healing.

johnny.

johnnyrocker 14:40 20 Jan 2005

"only disable (delete) SR if a problem is found, and you get the "found but unable to heal" message you've mentioned."

that is what i meant as it is a very prevalent issue

johnny

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Now On Sale: Price, Specification & Features

Best free Photoshop brushes 2019

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio Lightning (2019)