new pc has user already there

Helen Weaver 08:34 05 Mar 2019

I bought a brand new laptop, and set up a user name as requested by the system. When I restarted the computer there was another user name already in existence. I have never seen this on a new PC before, and am concerned that this gives rise to security issues. Can you advise me please.

Secret-Squirrel 09:10 05 Mar 2019

A couple of questions for you Helen:

1) During the initial setup, were you asked to accept or decline lots of agreements for Windows, Cortana, and how your data is used etc, select a wireless network, then choose a username?

2) What's the name of this unknown user and does it appear next to yours on the Windows sign-in screen?

Helen Weaver 09:53 05 Mar 2019

Hi Thanks for getting back to me.

There were no agreements for Windows, possibly Cortana but I'm not sure. It s an HP laptop, so there were agreements for HP. I think that the username was the first thing that was requested. I was not asked for a wireless network, it just selected ours automatically.

When the initial screen comes up the username Mike is shown underneath mine.

Secret-Squirrel 11:56 05 Mar 2019

That doesn't sound right to me Helen. There should definitely be no "Mike" on the sign-in screen.

It certainly looks like a pre-owned laptop was returned and the retailer put it back on the shelf and then it was sold to you.

You should take it back to the retailer and demand a new one.

Helen Weaver 13:37 05 Mar 2019

Thank you both very much for your sound advice and taking the time to give it. I will take it back.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Now On Sale: Price, Specification & Features

Best free Photoshop brushes 2019

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio Lightning (2019)