I have had a new PC for a few months.

The specs are as follows...

1. Windows XP Home
2. Geforce FX 6800GT
3. 1 gig memory
4. 200MB hard drive.
5. Sound card.
6. 550W psu.

I play quite a few first person shooter games and when I have been playing for anywhere between 20 minutes to an hour the performance drops significantly. This happens in all the games I play.

Basically, the frames per second go from a solid 60 to about 15 to 20. Its as if I suddenly go from playing on a brand spanking new computer to one thats a few years old.

When I return to windows the computer "feels" slow....For example, windows take longer to open, etc.

When I reboot the computer the problem dissapears again...only to return later.

I have scanned for viruses, adware, etc. which has shown nothing at all.

I have run the PC pitstop scan and when I first start the computer the scan shows good performance.

When the problem appears and I then run the PC Pitstop scan it shows 33% performance for disk, memory and graphics.

I have tried replacing the PSU, Graphics card and memory. But the problem is still there.

I have used Everest and the temperatures it shows never get above 45 degrees.

Have tried re-installing windows and running just one game on an otherwise clean system, but the problem is still there.

I am at a total loss. Any ideas?

garrema 00:16 11 Aug 2005

a better response to this issue at say click here forums. Or the click here forums.

I don't have an answer for you my friend but more questions - You say 45c is that the graphics core temp or ambient in the case? Sounds a bit low for that 68 card - which is good.
Is the CPU fan correctly seated and has heat conduction paste well applied. Is the fan working?

Without changing anything else I wonder if the CPU temp is too high.

Midsman2005 16:59 11 Aug 2005

OK thanks.

I will try there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts