New pc can't connect keyboard

gazmix 18:08 28 Aug 2018

Hi Just bought new 2nd hand pc and my keyboard which has a small round 5 pin connector has nowhere to go.. Is one of these, maybe bottom left the keyboard socket.

click here what are the 2 blue USB ports with ss written on them.

Help appreciated

Also

Secret-Squirrel 18:38 28 Aug 2018

.............my keyboard which has a small round 5 pin connector has nowhere to go......

Your keyboard is an old-style PS/2 one and your new PC doesn't have a port for it.

There are PS/2-to-USB adapters available but on most systems they don't work reliably, and frequently they don't work at all. The other alternative is a converter but at those prices you may as well buy a new keyboard instead. Most of the time you'll find that they only work when Windows has booted up so your keyboard will never be able to get into the BIOS etc.

...what are the 2 blue USB ports with ss written on them

They're "super speed" AKA "USB 3" ports. They're backwards compatible so your current USB devices will work fine with them.

gazmix 18:44 28 Aug 2018

Many thanks for your reply.. Yes I'll get a new keyboard they're cheap enough.. I did have issue once when I disconnected keyboard at wrong time or didn't turn pc off before disconnection and it corrupted something. Is it best to connect everything before powering up?

Secret-Squirrel 18:59 28 Aug 2018

Is it best to connect everything before powering up?

With your new PC, apart from the VGA (monitor) connection, it's perfectly safe to disconnect/reconnect any devices while the PC is on.

gazmix 21:32 28 Aug 2018

OK thanks. Hope I can ask this without starting new thread. The old pc was xp and not supported so no updates from Microsoft etc.. With new pc and Microsoft updates on, will I be able to use sites like Wiz1.net for streaming sports or will the update security, av and firewall not let me.

Thanks

Secret-Squirrel 16:47 29 Aug 2018

............. will I be able to use sites like Wiz1.net for streaming sports.....

You should be fine - I can't think of any reasons why it shouldn't work.

gazmix 16:51 29 Aug 2018

Thanks secret squirrel. I thought maybe with windows 10 all up to date it may deny access to such sites, popups etc.

Cheers

Old Deuteronomy 17:01 29 Aug 2018

With your new PC, apart from the VGA (monitor) connection, it's perfectly safe to disconnect/reconnect any devices while the PC is on.

Only if those devices connect via USB.

Secret-Squirrel 20:01 29 Aug 2018

Only if those devices connect via USB.

Rubbish.

It's perfectly safe to connect/disconnect devices from the DisplayPort, Line-In, Mic-In, and Ethernet ports on Gazmix's computer while it is switched on.

MJS WARLORD 21:58 29 Aug 2018

hi gazmix NEVER unplug a usb memory stick without first going to "This pc" tab and on the memory stick choose right click and click on eject , you will be told when its safe to pull it out.

gazmix 20:18 30 Aug 2018

Cheers warlord yes I know a usb stick should be safely ejected via right

Will be using avg and windows firewall as opposed to defender from what I've read maybe. Also do I need a vpn for sports streams etc.

Many thanks.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

Adobe unveils dream prototypes of new features and apps for Creative Cloud

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Comment utiliser la fonction SI sur Excel ?