New PC Build Blues

warren2004g 14:56 18 Apr 2004

Hi all, hope someone can help me with this problem I have been recieving.

When I Shutdown my PC everything goes well and the base unit turns off.

When I Restart my PC, it looks like it is going to restart, the monitor turns itself off but the base unit is still on. The only way I can then turn the PC off is if hold power button in for a few seconds.

The Spec for my machine is

AMD Athlon XP 2600+

512MB DDR PC2100

PCCHIPS M852 KT400 MBoard

ATI Radeon 9600SE 128DDR

80Gb Western Digital HDD

350w PSU

Samsung 16x40 DVD

Optorite 8x DVD-RW

Any help would be greatly appreciated

sil_ver 15:26 18 Apr 2004

I have the same mobo and cpu but a geforce vid card and pc2700 memory. I get the same problem if I unplug mains and take the side off for whatever reason but it only happens once after which all is well. When the problem arises I get 2-1 beeps which suggest graphic card problem then a series of short beeps (about6) which is a puzzle. Like you I have to switch off by holding start button after which I have no further problems. I must be honest and say I don't know what causes it I have one or two theories ranging from a late charge up of a capacitor or HDD not getting up to speed quick enough. I fitted a 400w psu but it made no difference. I still suspect that unplugging from the mains is a pointer but can't get my head round the reason. My cmos battery is ok as far as I can tell and get none of the indicators that would suggest a problem such as checksum errors. I know this doesn't help you but some other wizzkid may put his/her two pen'orth in.

warren2004g 19:01 18 Apr 2004

Every little helps. I have tried the above but to no avail. I did have a memory problem with a TWINMOS 512MB PC3200 when the machine was purchased 2 weeks ago, but I found the chip to be faulty and am still awaiting the replacement. Dunno wether the information added here is any more food for the problem though

warren2004g 00:01 21 Apr 2004

I have found 1 solution for my computer not restarting maybe it will work with yours. The problem for me was that I did not apply all of the spacers to the motherboard screws when fixing the motherboard down. Maybe it could help you...

sil_ver 01:22 21 Apr 2004

What spacers are you referring to. Are we talking about insulating washers?

warren2004g 19:42 22 Apr 2004

Yes sorry, the insulation washers. Silly me ehh? To say I have built about 40+ PC's i'm not sounding to convincing, anyways hope it helps...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

HomePod review

Comment regarder les Oscars 2018 ?