New NVIDIA drivers problem

giggsy 14:45 18 Dec 2003

Afternoon ladies and gents. I have a GeForce2 MX on my system. I downloaded the latest drivers this afternoon (53.04). I have just installed them, but when I go to display properties (right click on the desktop) I can select every tab apart from the one with the name of my card on it.
When I click it a message pops up saying NVCPL with an exclamation mark on a yellow background.
I click ok and then get the message 'An error occured while Windows was working with the Control Panel File C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DESL.CPL'
It's the area where you can select anit aliasing, ainsotropic filtering etc.
Anyone got any ideas?

Jester2K II 14:50 18 Dec 2003

Did you uninstall the old drivers first and reboot?

johnnyrocker 14:52 18 Dec 2003

did you get the drivers from microsoft or nvidia?

johnny.

giggsy 14:55 18 Dec 2003

Hi guys, cheers for the quick response. I got the drivers from the nvidia site.
I went to add/remove programs and removed the old drivers. When I re-booted though, my pc recognised my graphics card and installed another driver separate from the new one.
Do i need to go to the nvidia folder on my machine and manually remove all traces of earlier drivers?
Cheers

Jester2K II 14:58 18 Dec 2003

1) Uninstall old driver

2) Reboot

3) Let windows install Generic Driver

4) Install new driver

5) Reboot

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 15:01 18 Dec 2003

I remember having this problem think it was with the 45.43 drivrs for 98se i could never get the desk.cpl to work either even copyied a knew one from cd and didnt work,i ended up reverting back to 44.0somthing to get it to work,there is a knowledge base on the microsoft site telling you how to delete the regestry setting and fix it but i didnt find it till after i rolled back the drivers so i never used it ,it was for win 98 tho may work with xp i assume your on xp cos of the driver 53.04,cant remember the link to microsoft site and i cant post them right anyway,lol,i used the forceware drivers when i upgraded to xp 53.03 i think and they worked ok.

Regards

giggsy 15:04 18 Dec 2003

I've uninstalled the old driver using add/remove progs in control panel, but that didn't seem to do the trick. Should I move my nvidia folder to the recycle bin before installation and let it create a new nvidia folder?

giggsy 15:07 18 Dec 2003

Sorry  ÑÌÇKÑÂMË, I should have mentioned that I an running 98SE. Will hopefully be upgrading to xp in the new year.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 15:18 18 Dec 2003

I found the link hope it works lol
click here;en-us;217752 if not some one will sort it lol.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 15:19 18 Dec 2003

no dont work but that the KB number lol

JFT 15:30 18 Dec 2003

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?