New MS Works Suite 05 & problem opening Files

Giggle n' Bits 19:53 03 Jan 2005

I have transfered all my MS Works suite files Word, Spreadsheet & DBase files to my new machine which now has works suite 2005.

The problem is, when I go to open say a spreadsheet it comes up with a box saying it can not read the document because its read only. So click on ok and the spreadsheet opens but you are them told to SAVE AS (to save the ducument)

Can someone confirm if this is a problem and I have to go and open all my older s.sheet docs to convert them to a newer format.

Word files are fine.

Giggle n' Bits 21:06 03 Jan 2005

just need to know if this is normal when opening older Works docs in the newer version.

deep-joy 21:12 03 Jan 2005

Did you copy your files to new PC via a burnt CD? If so they will be read only. The save as option will allow you to resave them so that they can be worked with.

deep-joy 21:12 03 Jan 2005

Did you copy your files to new PC via a burnt CD? If so they will be read only. The save as option will allow you to resave them so that they can be worked with.

Giggle n' Bits 21:59 03 Jan 2005

Yes I did burn my files to a CD-Wrtr to transfer.

If I had done it with a Floppy Disk would I still have this problem ?

The problem is when I have to SAVE AS I have to SAVE AS with a new File Name which is a pain.

FAO: deep-joy, if I did SAVE AS option and rename would the new file saved be full of the same Data, ok a bit of a different format in the document is fine long as no corruption would occur.

Giggle n' Bits 22:35 03 Jan 2005

If I right click on a file say Works Spreadsheet I select Properties and is ticked "Read-Only" now if I take the tick out and apply change it opens fine.

deep-joy says because I have tranfered to new works suite from old is I get prompt because I tranfered them by a Back up CDR.

Ok, so if I was to do this by a floppy would I still have this problem where I would need to resave/re-name all my files one by one ?

Or would I be ok to just un-tick the "Read-only" box for each file. ?

Help please.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?