New memory causes crash

Mac101 15:20 27 Feb 2005

I am running XP-SP2 on an Athlon XP+ and a Soyo Dragon+. I decided to increase my memory from 1024 by adding a third identical 526 memory stick. Now XP won't start; gets to loading the desktop and then restarts. If I remove any of the memory sticks the problem goes away. As far as I know all my drivers are up to date and I have updated the OS fully.
Any ideas?

Technotiger 15:39 27 Feb 2005

Hi, have you tried juggling with the three mem-sticks, ie swopping them around within the slots.
Just a thought as all else appears to be ok.

Mac101 16:03 27 Feb 2005

Thanks TT - tried all possible combinations - works with any two; add the third (in any position) and kerpow - crash - loud swearing and abuse!!

Technotiger 16:07 27 Feb 2005

Well, the only other thing I can think of is that perhaps - just perhaps - you need to put in a Pair of mem-sticks not just the one, I know some mobo's do need them in pairs. Though I would have thought that yours might not have - cos it does take up to 3gig I believe.

Mac101 16:12 27 Feb 2005

Only got three memory slots; works fine with one filled or two but three - disaster.
Thanks for input.

Technotiger 16:18 27 Feb 2005

Ah well - I tried. Dunno what else to suggest.

I was about to give up, but - what about changing one stick for another twice the size? Then you would still only be using two sticks, or go the whole hog (as us Hampshire-ites say) and get two sticks of twice the size?

Mac101 16:28 27 Feb 2005

$ound$ £ike a good idea but I wa$ hoping for a le$$ wa££et inten$ive $o£ution.

Technotiger 16:33 27 Feb 2005

:-)) Good luck.

groundhog 16:53 27 Feb 2005

For some information on this problem have a read of the following back issue on the PCMech site click here

It would appear that the Dragon+ (Mobo) has a problem when you load the three mem slots and that some people have cured it by altering the voltage to the ram (But not all).

Best of luck

Michael_R 16:56 27 Feb 2005

Hi Maybe this will help
Have you looked on the click here web site? It will specify the type and maximum memory you can use.
I found the following based on your limited ifo., from their site.
Information on the Soyo SY-K7V DRAGON+ motherboard

* 184-pin DIMM Banking: 3 (3 banks of 1)
* Chipset: VIA Apollo KT266A
* DDR SDRAM Frequencies: PC1600 and PC2100
* Error Detection Support: Non-ECC only
* Graphics Support: AGP 4X
* Max Unbuffered DDR SDRAM: 3072MB
* Module Types Supported: Unbuffered only
* Supported DRAM Types: DDR SDRAM only
* USB Support: 1.x Compliant
In this example you should only use PC 1600 or PC2100,(generally not a good idea to have a mis match) with non ECC and unbuffered.

Mac101 17:14 27 Feb 2005

Thanks to groundhog and Michael R - I will try your suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Artist Helen Friel on designing paper models for everyone to make

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts