New memory 512MB only shows as 256mb

richierich 19:12 16 Jul 2004

Upgraded a pc 168 Dimm to a single stick of 512mb, however on startup only shows as 256mb.
tested memory in another PC and is recognised OK as full 512mb.
running win XPpro 1.3 celeron, any ideas please.

Diodorus Siculus 19:17 16 Jul 2004

What motherboard? It may not be able to recognise more than 256mb in any one slot. Have a look at the manual.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:23 16 Jul 2004

Agree with Diodorus Siculus some motherboards only read one side of the DIMM. Try another slot maybe?

richierich 19:35 16 Jul 2004

The mother board manual says it takes up to 1Gig of RAM, there is only 2 slots so should be ok, tried it in both slots, same result.
I was gonna try to update the bios but as the original manual says it takes a gig I shouldnt have to should I?

fourjays 19:38 16 Jul 2004

I agree with both of you two as well. Some boards have different memory maximums. For example, mine has a overall maximum of 2Gb (I think), and a maximum of 1Gb per slot. Your motherboard will have its own limits. You will have to check your manual, or find out your motherboard make, so you can check it via the internet.

As a guess, it is likely that it is a maximum of 256Mb per slot, with a total of 512Mb, but that is a guess. Hope you sort it out.

Diodorus Siculus 19:40 16 Jul 2004

What is the motherboard? Have you searched google for any suggestions about it? If it is a known problem there may be a solution somewhere on google.

richierich 19:41 16 Jul 2004

any more ideas, manual says it takes up to a gig of ram so 512 should be recognised

fourjays 19:41 16 Jul 2004

You responded while I was adding my post.

I'm not sure what could be wrong then, but could it possibly be a fault on the motherboard? I hope someone else can clarify this, as I'm not sure myself.

SANTOS7 19:41 16 Jul 2004

Sometimes the computer will recognize only part of a module. This is almost always due to using the wrong kind of memory. For example, if your computer accepts only single-banked memory and you have installed dual-banked, the computer will read only half the memory on the module. Sometimes the computer will accept only modules containing memory chips with specific organizations. For example, the VX chipset doesn't work well with 64 Mbit chips.

any more ideas, manual says it takes up to a gig of ram so 512 should be recognised

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?