New Intel Chipset

tigertop2 10:11 14 Aug 2008

Do forum members have any views/news on the proposed new Intel 'Nehalim' processor due out in Sept this year? The 'i7' processors will be apparently be successors to the current Intel dual core ones but I am not clear if 775 pin motherboards will need to be replaced to accomodate them.

As I am contemplating another new build (if my wife does not find out first) any info or even opinions would be welcome

tigertop2 10:13 14 Aug 2008

Oops , for chipset read processor! The chipset required is changing to X58 I understand

I am Spartacus 10:27 14 Aug 2008

It's a new socket, 1366 I think and is supposed to be 12-20% more efficient at a given clock speed. Any aftermarket heatsinks currently available will not fit although new brackets might be available for some.

New motherboard required.

tigertop2 16:54 14 Aug 2008

Thanks, I am Spartacus.

I might have known they would find a way to get me to buy a new motherboard!

Think I will sit back and see what sort of reception the new product gets. If nothing else it may drive down costs of existing CPUs and Mobos

crosstrainer 16:59 14 Aug 2008

Yep, that's what they call progress. Same thing with AMD 550 > 760 (got the new mobo in the cupboard...This is running too well to contemplate a re-build.

Or maybe I am, at last getting old :)

tigertop2 17:07 14 Aug 2008

crosstrainer, NEVER admit you are getting old! eg "Be 60 think 50 act 40"

My AMD rigs are running very well but I am curious about trying Intel for the first time to compare capabilities. Nehalem has been a long time in gestation so it might just be worth it, especially if it runs more economically

crosstrainer 17:14 14 Aug 2008

That's just it. I'm 53 going on 15, but the age thing kicks in when you realise that even 6 months ago, that motherboard would be in this PC, my XP machine would also have a new build.

And yet, I'm finally doing as I'm told by the medical profession.

Only person who could ever have that effect before was Mrs Crosstrainer :)

I am actually looking forward to retirement (But do have a few projects in mind..)

Nothing too big, DC3 re-build, and a few others.

Now you have pointed it out, perhaps I will strip this down tonight. Was going to wait until the Nvidia 280's were mainstream, but hey... When have I ever done that? :))

crosstrainer 17:17 14 Aug 2008

I think we have a boxed 280 in the workshop.......

Now look what you've done!

Need to go to the shops anway, dog's need to see the staff (true, they miss them)

er...more excuses. ?

tigertop2 17:23 14 Aug 2008

Go to it Crosstrainer--Bags a ride in the DC3 --when its airworthy!!!

crosstrainer 18:31 14 Aug 2008

You have it, but as yet a project very much in it's embyonic stage.

Have sourced a clean fusalage.

Help may be at hand from a few people here (won't name them, they know who they are!)

But yes, I see things through, and you are welcome aboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 and 32 review – hands-on

When is the next Apple event?

Qu’est-ce qu’Amazon Prime ?