New HDD bios settings ?

cap46 11:36 21 Feb 2010

Hi, i've just purchased a new Hitatchi 1TB, 16MB Cache SATA HDD. This has replaced my old Western Digital 80GB IDE HDD.
As i now have no IDE hardware installed (my optical drive is sata as well) i have disabled the OnChip IDE channel0 in the bios.
The other 2 settings after this are, OnChip SATA Controller (which i have set to enabled), and OnChip SATA Type. There are 4 settings for this, Native IDE, RAID, Legacy IDE and SATA>AHCI.
Which one do i use ????

Why wont it work 11:52 21 Feb 2010

If you have a SATA optical drive installed aswell I would use 'Native IDE' (some older SATA optical drives don't like other settings so this is the safest setting). If you only have the hard drive connected via SATA than I would use 'AHCI'.

Performance between native IDE and AHCI is almost identical, the main difference being AHCI enables some advanced features such as 'native command queuing' and 'hotswapping' - but most see little advantage in using those anyway. Hope that helps!

cap46 12:20 21 Feb 2010

Thanks that has helped my confusion

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?