New HD Not Recognised by System

benosc 12:43 10 Dec 2016

Hi I have just replaced a new HD in my backup "Local F drive" "F" drive is no longer showing in "my Computer, Just the "C" drive

If I re-boot and go into the BIOS the new drive does show there.

Am I not doing something or what.

chub_tor 12:52 10 Dec 2016

Did you go into Control Panel, Administrative tools, disk management and initialize the disk and assign it a drive letter? It won't show up in Windows until you do this.

benosc 11:48 11 Dec 2016

Hi chub_tor

Thanks for your reply

I have gone into disk management to initialise the HD and it shows C: as disk 0 and below that the new HD that I put in as disc 1

Whilst I am allowed to re-designate the C: if I wanted to it will not give me the opportunity to designate a drive number to the new disc

Below this is the rest of the UHB drives designated G to J and then the Rom drives designated D and E

It shows that the new HD space is unallocated If I look at “properties it shows that the disk is working properly

I am thinking that if I could at least format the HD then I might stand a chance of the computer recognising it, BUT I can’t find a way

I thought that in Windows 7 when a new HD was installed the system automatically set it up etc. This did not happen.

Incidentally when I connect the old HD (designated F:) to the computer via one of the USB drive ports is still shows as F:

Any ideas??

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:46 11 Dec 2016

In disk management right click the drive - what options does it give ? - you should be able to format from there.

Burn-it 00:03 12 Dec 2016

You will need to allocate partitions or whatever the GPT equivalent is before you can format it/them

benosc 11:16 13 Dec 2016

Hi Guys

Following on from my last post I have now connected the new HD to my motherboard using another slot, So I have my main drive as disk0 C: my backup drive as disk1 F: (as they always were) and my new HD as disk2 but no drive allocation!!!!

Fruit Bat – If I right click on “disk2 it gives me the following options New Spanned volume New stripped volume Convert to dynamic disk Convert to GTP disk Properties Help

If I right click on the partition area for it it gives the following options Simple volume Spanned volume Striped volume Properties Help

If I click on either the disc1 or disk2 C: and F: respectively it does give me the chance to change the drive path and letters.

In disk management HELP it says:

New disks appear as Not Initialized. Before you can use a disk, you must first initialize it. If you start Disk Management after adding a disk, the Initialize Disk Wizard appears so you can initialize the disk. To initialize new disks 1. In Disk Management, right-click the disk you want to initialize, and then click Initialize Disk. 2. In the Initialize Disk dialog box, select the disk(s) to initialize. You can select whether to use the master boot record (MBR) or GUID partition table (GPT) partition style. But I am unable to find anywhere that will allow me to do that even. Burn-IT I cannot find anywhere that allows me to partition the disk

Burn-it 16:51 13 Dec 2016

I always use third party tools for disk management as I have ALWAYS found the MS tools to be somewhat lacking. Download and install a free tool to do it. I use EASEUS Partition Master and sometimes MinTool Partition Tools depending which I remember first. Both do a good job better than the MS ones

benosc 09:42 14 Dec 2016

HI Burn-it - How can I use these utilities you suggest when I can't assign a drive path to the HD

Surely I need to get the computer to recognise the HD first??

Regards

benosc 11:44 16 Dec 2016

Hi Guys

I have just installed a replacement for the HD in question and this time it works!!!

I am now able to format and assign a letter to it.

Seems it was faulty all along.

Many thanks for your help though.

Whilst posting, can I pick your brains a bit more??

I am going to put the new HD in place of C: drive and install Windows afresh on it.

Can I then just transfer all the files and folder from the old C: onto the new C: drive or what.

I also assume I will have to let the BIOS know I have changed the H drives round before I start.

Regards

Burn-it 13:18 16 Dec 2016

You will need to reinstall all your programs except portable applications. Having reinstalled the programs you MAY get away with copying the files from the old disk for them and saving a lot of time.

Jollyjohn 13:19 16 Dec 2016

I would always have my C: drive (Operating System) connected to the lowest number SATA port on motherboard.

In your scenario I would be inclined to disconnect existing C: drive and connect new HDD to SATA0 and install Windows.

Once running reconnect old C:drive to highest SATA port available. Windows will assign a drive letter other than C. Copy and paste the required files across then once you are sure you have all the stuff copied across format the drive and use as needed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 release date & specs

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2019 is 'Living Coral'

Can Macs Get Viruses & Do Macs Need Antivirus Software?

Comment baisser votre ping ?